cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.3 VM Only Failover Questions.

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

I am installing a new MCS 7815 to run Unity 4.0.3 VM Only and I have a few questions.

1. Is failover supported in a VM only installation? I've seen some post that say it is supported with Exchange off box. Exchange off box makes more sense, since if the primary unity server went down then the failover one would still have message store to connect to but I think it should still work. I would just like to know if it is a supported configuration by Cisco.

2. Should I install SQL or MSDE? The client we are installing this for is still pondering whether he wants redundancy for Unity but I have to configure this server in the meantime and I know redundancy requires SQL. Is there a problem installing SQL in case they do decide they want redundancy or is it possible to add a failover unity server to an already existing unity set up where MSDE was installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. You can install failover in a VM only configuration - but the Exchange store needs to be off box. We normally reccomend Exchange be off box regardless - you'd only have it on the same server as Unity for pretty small installations given the overhead involved. The Exchange license that comes with VM only systems allows you to install it on another server - you simply can't connect any desktop clients to it for email services or you'll be violating the license agreement.

2. You can install SQL 2000 - but it's not free. You cannot use MSDE with failover - you'll have to upgrade to SQL 2000 server first if you want to go that route.

That answered my questions. Thanks very much for the response and great information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: