cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.4 public distribution list storage

nstrech
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple Unity servers that are a little low on disk space but would like to start using the public distribution list within Unity. Does anyone know if Unity stores the v-mails as one file on the Unity server or does it make a copy in each subscriber?s database? I know Exchange uses single-instance storage to store one copy of a message routed to multiple recipients, just not sure if Unity works the same way.

Thanks,

Nate Strech

SynClear

Technology Group, Inc.

synclear.com

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, it does the same as Exchange because it is Exchange. Unity does not store a copy of the wav file in SQL, but in the Public Distro AD user account in Exchange. Exchange be default only keeps one copy of that wav file in it's database and has pointers to it if other users have the same copy. (keeps the Priv and Pub databases smaller and more effcient)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob, how do we end up posting at the same exact minute? ha

Oops, must have missed that posting. Thanks! That answers my question.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, it does the same as Exchange because it is Exchange. Unity does not store a copy of the wav file in SQL, but in the Public Distro AD user account in Exchange. Exchange be default only keeps one copy of that wav file in it's database and has pointers to it if other users have the same copy. (keeps the Priv and Pub databases smaller and more effcient)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Tommer,

I'd like to think it's that "Great minds think alike" but it's probably more like "Fools seldom differ"! (at least in my case :)

Rob