Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0(4)sr1 on MCS-7825 Server - Disk Capacity

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have an MCS-7825 running W2000-SP4 with the Unity Apps. It is running for some time now. For some reason windows is reporting that the C drive is reaching low capacity (right now is reporting 400MB free)... The C drive is 8GB total as I installed W2000 with the CDs provided by Cisco.

If I go to the C drive and select all folders and hidden files it sums only 4GB. My question is.. where are the other 4GB that seems to be using?

Any ideas,

-Jose

9 Replies 9

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Open explorer

Right click on c-drive, select properties

What is the Capacity and Free space?

hinho,

Here is a screen capture of the C drive properties..

Thanks in advanced,

-Jose

Hi -

I agree with the SQL check - also the ReportDb log file. Are you running Exchange onbox? If so, you should check out circular logging - here is a document that discusses the pros and cons - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a0080443807.html#wp1074751

Other things to check:

- Do a search for user.dmp - these can get big, and if old, should be deleted or at least moved off of your C drive.

- Files with $NtUninstall - in the WINNT directory for Windows 2000 (Windows directory for Win2K3) can be deleted. These are the uninstall files created by service packs, hot fixes, etc. We usually save just the most recent month and delete the rest.

- I also noticed you have a lot on your server's desktop - these files can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\user where user = the user accounts you have logged onto the server with (profiles). I see you have two folders on the desktop. You may want to see what's in there and move to another disk.

- Deleted the items in your Recycle bin on the server desktop.

Note: You need to take action quickly. This happened to me once and Unity stopped working until the disk capacity was restored/cleaned up.

Best wishes, Ginger

I already check all that.. the thing is that if I go to the C drive and select everything in it..the size goes to 4.x GB so I don't know where the rest is getting used. I check all the SQL logs.. also the exchange is offbox... I'm really lost here...

Thanks,

-Jose

We can determine which files are using this space on the hard disk by running an application called Treesize which is a shareware that you can download refering to the following link:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Not TAC supported

Gonz

Each folder's (off the root of C:) properties will show how much space is in that folder, plus all subfolders. I always start there.

Also, make sure under folder preferences (Tools | Folder Options | View tab) you have selected the following:

* Show hidden files and folders

Make sure the following are UN-Checked

* Hide Extensions for Known File Types

* Hide Protected Operating System Files

If I was to guess - you have a Paging file on the C drive, hidden as a 'protected operating system file' and that is why you cannot see it.

On most of my servers I have moved my paging file off the boot drive - it means I cannot get a full memory dump for debugging, but it is pretty rare I need that anyway.

Thans Tony.. .

At least now I found another 1GB.. the paging file is 1.1GB as of right now.. is that normal? How Can I move that file??? I'm not a windows guru..

At lease now I know where are 5GB of data.. now I need to find the other 3GB because the C drive is almost full..

-Jose

The location and size of the page file is configured in SystemProperties, Advanced, Performance (click the Settings button).

Have you checked the sql folder to see if the other 3 gig is there?

d-roush
Level 1
Level 1

I would check under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ and see how big your Unitydb log file is. If the sql server agent backup job within sql/management is not succesful, then your log files never get flushed and continue to grow.