Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.5 - HTTP 401 error

1dschock
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all

I am having a problem with Unity 4.0.5 throwing an HTTP 401.1 error when trying to access the Administration and Status Monitor web pages.

Error is: HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Unity is co-located with Exchange 2003. And here's the thing: I can reboot the server and both pages will work fine for a while, but eventually I'm left with the 401.1 error. I read through the Troubleshooting guide and saw the PCA reference to 401.1, but we aren't using PCA and I have verified that nothing (obvious) in IIS has changed since Unity install time.

Any clues?

thanks!

Dennis

4 Replies 4

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Did you check your Event Logs for any errors? If you have Event ID 7011 errors in your Application Log you maybe experiencing this bug: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCeg08141 TAC can provide you with the Microsoft Patch.

Yes - checked the event logs... they look pretty clean and no 7011 events.

Here's something that might be interesting:

This machine is running Windows 2003 Standard Edition. It is an HP DL380 G3 and has 3Gb memory in it. It also has the /3GB switch turned on in the boot.ini. The reason I am bringing this up is because I am seeing a relatively low free System PTE count in perfmon on it. And I know that things can start acting strangely when the free PTE count drops below Microsoft's recommended limits.

I am going to try removing that switch and rebooting (during non-production hours) to see if it makes a difference.

Just a thought...

Hi -

I had to do this recently on a non-Unity server, it was CiscoWorks Operations Manager, running Windows 2003 Standard Edition RC2, same server hardware as you. I was experiencing problems running the application, which was corrected by removing the /3GB switch.

Ginger

Just wanted to follow up -

After removing the /3GB switch and rebooting, the server came back up fine with plenty of Free system PTEs, as expected. Also, the Administration and Status Monitor pages are working solidly.

Hope this info helps someone in the future.

:-)

Dennis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: