cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2.1 login with no ID

nordendale
Level 4
Level 4

In Unity 4.2.1 is there a way to allow uses to log in without having to enter their ID (extension) when calling in from the PSTN. For example is there a way to allow users to call their own extension and hit the * key and have Unity "assume" that the user is trying to login to the box that they hit the * on? Or some variation of this?

For the record I expect the answer to be "no," but I need to verify.

Thanks,

Casey Nordendale

13 Replies 13

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Casey,

You can't do this by pressing * after dialing into a particular box, but here's another option.

1. Create an external number that users call to access voicemail.

2. Translate this number to the Hunt Pilot for Unity.

3. Create an alternate extension(s) for each user that will be the phone number(s) they will be calling in from - their mobile number for example.

4. Now, when users dial the external voicemail number from any of their alternate extensions, they will only be prompted for password.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Add their mobile phone number to the alternate numbers in the subscriber profile. Caller ID should push through from CCM, to Unity, Unity will look at the number and match, then play "enter your pin"

give it a whirl

Yes. Actually I thought of this but the customer says that they want this to work regardless of where the caller is calling from. If it were just the subscribers cell and/or home phone I could use alternate extensions.

So, to be clear, we can't do this? Right?

There's no other way that I'm aware of.

Brandon

So then ask yourself or the customer, how will the voicemail system know who is calling, if the number is not added into the alterntate numbers in Unity?

So if I called the voicemail pilot from a pay phone, it will just automatically know who I am by the PIN i enter? No system from avaya, mitel, cisco, nortel, anyone works this way. It has to have a mailbox number, and pin to enter. Or to make life easier, plug in their cell phone, home phone, whatever... then it will by pass the mailbox number and just ask for the pin.

Give a demo to show them.

My understanding is that for easy message access to work (which is what you are asking for) Unity would have to recongnize who is calling. Without the ext. Unity wouldn't know.

If there is another way, please ring in.

rlp

In reply to the last two posts: This post is due diligence for the customer. I pretty much knew the answer when I asked the question... however, if someone were to call their own extension and hit the * to go to sign in, that would be a way for Unity to track which ID the sign in was for.

I wanted to make sure I was not missing some advanced setting that might allow this.

Everyone, thank you for your replies.

Casey Nordendale

I don't want to step on anyones toes here but what if I were to call your ext, then hit *?

rlp

Then you are at the "sub sign in" prompt, which Unity will then say "please enter your mailbox ID followed by #, then enter your PIN"

Same senario.... if I were to call from a payphone your extension, it rang 4 times, rolled to Unity. I hear my own greeting "sorry I cant take your call" I hit * Unity still has no idea who just called and to linnk it with the subscriber ID that is calling.

The only way to do this is Caller ID "ON" and Unity subscriber alternate greeting numbers added in such as Cell phone, home number, etc)

If you have a Unity server, I highly recommend trying your theories so you can see for yourself how it works.

Good luck!

I found a way to do it in caller input. choose Send Caller to Easy Sign In for the * key for the subscriber. If more than one subscriber, then do it on a template. But it will only effect subscribers that are created in the future.

My unity is 4.0.5

have fun, (still think it is a security risk)

rlp

To be clear about the conclusion of this issue: YES it can be done. Per the post from Ranpierce, 'Easy Sign In' is the answer. Configuration-wise, all we are talking about is changing the * from send to sign in, to send to easy sign in. That's it.

When a subscriber hits * when they call their own greeting, Unity only asks for their password, not their ID.

Security freaks will freak out, but yes.

"Easy" Sign-In Available

To accommodate subscribers who want an easier way to log on from their own greeting, Cisco Unity administrators can offer the Easy Sign-In conversation, which prompts subscribers only for a password when they press a specified key during a greeting. The Easy Sign-In conversation is disabled by default. (No key is mapped to route callers to the Easy Sign-In conversation.)

Cisco Unity is still set up so that subscribers hear the Cisco Unity Sign-In conversation, which prompts them for their ID and password when they press * (star) during any subscriber greeting?either their own or another subscriber greeting.

For details on setting up this functionality, refer to the "Specifying How Subscribers Log On to Cisco Unity From Subscriber Greetings" section in the "Cisco Unity Conversation" chapter of the Cisco Unity System Administration Guide, Release 4.0(4). (The Domino version of the guide is available at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity40/sag/sag404/dom/index.htm. The Exchange version of the guide is available at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity40/sag/sag404/ex/index.htm.).

This feature was introduced in Cisco Unity version 4.0(4).

A consideration, but without knowing my password you couldn't log in. It is a security issue but if the customer were on board, not a problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: