cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0(1) using UMR and not seeing Exchange 2007 server

3dperrier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks. I have a Unity 5.0(1) server that is partnered to an Exchange 2003 message store. There is also a new Exchange 2007 server in the same organization on the same domain, AD site, and subnet. Any user that is homed on the Exchange 2003 server is doing well. Any user on the Exchange 2007 however gets a message retrieving their voicemail that "The messaging server is offline". No voicemail gets into their Exchange 2007 inbox; essentially the Unity UMR is active for Exchange 2007. In Outlook, an Exchange 2003 users can send email to the Exchange 2007 users and reverse. This happens with users moved from Exchange 2003 and users newly created on the Exchange 2007 server. When I look at the Profile of the subscriber account in SA, it shows them as being on the Exchange 2007 server as it should. The Exchange 2007 server is clustered. Anything I should be looking for? Thanx!

12 Replies 12

jcarlyle
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get any resolution for this issue? I'm seeing the same behaviour with the same scenario.

Actually we did get a resolution. We were told to run the permissions wizard again. Make sure you have the latest version. After that I waited for a few hours for the permissions to propagate and then we ran the Messaging Configuration wizard again and specified the Exchange server's connections information again. It worked after that. I wonder about the permissions wizard, as we had to run it a third time to fix another problem.

I ended up having to delegate control for the unitymsgstoresvc account on the 2007 Exchange admin group to get Unity to recognize the Information store. It looks in the docs like only the Install and DirSvc account are needed but I found you need the MsgStoreSvc as well. Thanks for the update.

You shouldn't need UnityMsgStore in delegate control at all. Permissions Wizard should be run and you should make sure you choose the new 2007 mail stores. That is what sets the UnityMsgStore Permissions on the stores. Make sure you did that and you should not need the delegate control options for that account any more for Unity to see the store.

Permissions wizard was run several times but I still had no luck until I delegated control to the MsgStore account, which as you said should not be required. Seems like a few people have had trouble with the wizard even though it reported a successful running. Soon the 2003 server will be gone completely so I'm interested to see if once I've partnered with the 2k7 exchange i can remove the delegated control and have things still work.

2 quick questions for you folks. A bit of background - We have been running Unity5 with Exchange 2003 for several months w/no issues. We are in the process of upgrading to Exchagne 2007, and Unity was re-configured to use the 2007 message store. I now have a few users (probably more, only 3 have actually called in about it) that are getting the "Message server is offline" when they try to pull voicemail from the phones (However, they DO get an email notification, and can retrieve messages).

I am guessing if the Permissions wizard will help in the cituation.

SO -

1. Can Permissions wizard be ran during normal hours, or is it best to run after hours?

and

2. When running the wizard, I noticed (for exchange at least) it mentions 2000 and 2003. I dont see any reference to Exchange 2007. Could this be the reasons for having to re-run the permissions wizards so many times?

We just went through a horrible time trying to figure this out after doing a DiRT restore into a new unity 5.0(1) install coupled with exchange 2007.

"deleting the mapi profile" fixed it!!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949dc.shtml#topic2-3

Hi -

Running the permissions wizard results in Active Directory replication so you may want to consider running this after hours. Cisco recommends this as well, see this link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge020.html

"When the Permissions wizard completes, the Lsass.exe process updates the Active Directory database with the new permissions. While Lsass.exe is processing the updates, it uses 100 percent of available processor time on the root domain controller in the domain and on one of the global catalog servers in the site where the Permissions wizard was run. (Other domain controllers in the domain and other global catalog servers in the forest are also affected, but the impact is less significant.)"

Ginger

Hi,

We have the same environment: Unity 5.0x with Exchange 2003, but customer installed Exchange 2007 and finally will migrating email to Exchange 2007.

I understand that if we run MSCW and select exchange 2007 as partner server, run the script on Exchange 2007 will solve the issue.

My question will be:

If it is possible that we keep the same Exchange 2003 as message store instead of Exchange 2007, and to make the Unity server work with both Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007? What will be the procedure?

Thanks,

JJ

Yup, this fixed my problem. Customer used ADMT to migrate my test Unity subscribers from old domain to new domain and exchange 2003 to 2007. Mailboxes, were there, I used Cobras to move the accounts over and it worked, but the message store stayed offline until i reran permissions wizards... go figure.

points for you!

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

We had the exact same issues:

Rerun MSCW is all you need, no need for PW.

Randy

Ok. I have the same issue and have tried all of these suggestions to no avail. Can anyone offer anything else to try??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: