cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0 Call handler transfer to an external number

sienz.sienz
Level 1
Level 1

I have read some of the discussions regarding the Call handler transfer to an external number but I am not clear.

If I am not mistaken, once of the fix is to change the CCS in the unity port to reflect the external number (currently mine is setup as internal)

Is this a must thing to do in order for use to be able to transfer to an external number?

I created a call handler with alternate transfer to internal extension XXXX (“Yes, ring this extension:” ) and then create an extension in the phone to be transferred to an external number but it is failed.

It is also failed when I put the external number in the “Yes, ring this extension:”

It tried to transfer but failed at the end after the music on hold.

Any input on this?

Thanks,

sienz

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's correct.

The Unity VM port should have a CSS that can reach the route pattern for PSTN and Unity needs to send the call with any necessary prefixes to use the route pattern.

If you dial 9 + DN, then Unity needs to dial the same.

Main CH -> caller input 1, Attempt transfer to -> 2nd CH transfer options "yes, ring subscriber at this extension" 9+DN

Check the call flow and look at what happens in the call viewer or port status monitor.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Instead, on the call handler you are using for the transfer try selecting these options:

1.  On the Call Transfer page, Transfer Type, set to "Release to Switch" so that CUCM handles the call transfer. 

2.  On Transfer Incoming Calls, set to "Yes, Ring Subscriber".  For the extension, use your offnet access code, such as 9 followed by the external number, no dashes or hyphens, i.e. 91234567.  This would be for local dialing in your area code.

3.  Test the call handler.

Regards, Ginger

Hi Sienz,

Hope all is well

Just to add a note to the great tips from my two Faves Ginger and Java

(+5 points each folks!);

The Unity VM Port will need to be able to dial Toll Free 1-866 #'s but nothing

further in your example. In most cases people have a local CSS that can access

things like Local calling areas and Toll Free #'s but not Long Distance calling

areas. If you use this "local" CSS  for the Unity Ports you would be good to go without opening yourself

up to Toll fraud possibilities.

Cheers!

Rob

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's correct.

The Unity VM port should have a CSS that can reach the route pattern for PSTN and Unity needs to send the call with any necessary prefixes to use the route pattern.

If you dial 9 + DN, then Unity needs to dial the same.

Main CH -> caller input 1, Attempt transfer to -> 2nd CH transfer options "yes, ring subscriber at this extension" 9+DN

Check the call flow and look at what happens in the call viewer or port status monitor.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Instead, on the call handler you are using for the transfer try selecting these options:

1.  On the Call Transfer page, Transfer Type, set to "Release to Switch" so that CUCM handles the call transfer. 

2.  On Transfer Incoming Calls, set to "Yes, Ring Subscriber".  For the extension, use your offnet access code, such as 9 followed by the external number, no dashes or hyphens, i.e. 91234567.  This would be for local dialing in your area code.

3.  Test the call handler.

Regards, Ginger

Java,

If we change the CSS so it can reach the route pattern for PSTN, does it mean that it may open for possibility of Call Fraud?

If we have to change the voicemail port CCS, After we change the CCS in the CUCM, do we have to reboot the unity server (primary and secondary)

Ginger,

In the procedure that you gave, Do we also need to change the CCS in the voicemail port?

I did the release to switch and did the same as what you mentioned with entering the external numbers.

The caller will hear the “Wait while I transfer your call” and then the caller will hear the Music on hold” and then reach “unaddress messages is not available”.

It failed to transfer to the external number. 

Note: I try to transfer to a toll free number 1-866-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks,

sienz

Hi Sienz,

Hope all is well

Just to add a note to the great tips from my two Faves Ginger and Java

(+5 points each folks!);

The Unity VM Port will need to be able to dial Toll Free 1-866 #'s but nothing

further in your example. In most cases people have a local CSS that can access

things like Local calling areas and Toll Free #'s but not Long Distance calling

areas. If you use this "local" CSS  for the Unity Ports you would be good to go without opening yourself

up to Toll fraud possibilities.

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you Rob for the input.

When I change the CCS in the CUCM, do i need to reset/restart anything in the unity side?

Hi Sienz,

You are always welcome my friend!

Because the CSS change is done on CUCM no server reset/restart

should be required on the Unity side

I would still do these changes out of business hours for ease of testing.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: