cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.x - Exchange 2007 bogus saved messages

gb-fairchild
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed Unity 5.x with Exchange 2007 as the partner. I created a subscriber for my DN by importing from Exchange. When I checked my voicemail via TUI it said I had 26 saved messages. This was odd because I just created it. In my Outlook I had 2 messages that were forwarded to me from one of my users at another site that has Unity. The forwarded messages were two of his emails from Unity with .wav attachments. The rest of the messages were ndr's. I started checking my email for email's that matched the date and time of some of the ndr's and found that some were non-delivery messages from exchange for emails. I deleted one of these emails and then checked for the corresponding ndr via the phone. Sure enough the ndr was gone. So it appears that Unity scans your email when a subscriber is first created and then flags certain emails as voice mails or ndr's??

Thanks,

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bill -

When you check your inbox from the telephone user interface, Unity will tell you, for example whether you have new voice messages, new email messages, or new fax messages (if you integrated Unity with a 3rd party fax solution that puts the fax into your inbox). Unity will tell you there are xxx saved messages in your inbox if you enable this feature in the subscriber's Unity account. When you press the key to listen to email, if you have the RealSpeak, text-to-speech functionality, Unity will read the text of your email messages to you (it will even tell you if you have attachments). So yes, Unity is reading email messages. By default, the Unity conversation New Messages Menu (what you hear when you check new messages by phone), is set to also play non-deliverable messages, which is what you are hearing. Unity is not flagging the message as an NDR, it is a real email NDR message. Likewise, when you delete a message from Outlook, Unity no longer sees it in the inbox when you call to check messages. When you did the Unity installation, remember the Unitymsgstoresvc account you enabled for specific permissions? This is the account that is logging into your mailbox when you call into Unity and sign-in. Hope this helps!

Ginger

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill -

You are using unified messaging, so Unity is sending voice messages to your same email account. Voice messages are not email messages - they have their own Exchange message class. Unity and Exchange are always talking, that's so Unity can check user inboxes for new voice messages and send the set message lamp instruction to the CallManager or other PBX for MWI (a couple of Unity accounts manage this activity). If you want to eliminate NDRs from the Unity conversation (when checking voice messages by phone), you can set this in the Advanced Setting tool from within Unity Tools Depot on the Unity server's desktop. That's what we do because they are admittedly annoying.

Hope this helps! Ginger

Ginger,

Thanks for the info. I just want to clarify this point. I have an email in my inbox that states:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

Visbisky, Karen

This recipient's mailbox is undergoing maintenance and can't accept this message at this time. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending the message later, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

This is regarding an email I tried to send. It existed before my Unity subscriber was built. If you listen to my voicemails Unity says I have a message that is an ndr - date stamped with the same time as this email. If I delete this email and then listen to Unity again - the ndr message is gone.

So it looks to me like Unity flagged the non-delivery email as an ndr.

So when you create a new subscriber by importing from Exchange - are you saying Unity does look through the existing emails??

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill -

When you check your inbox from the telephone user interface, Unity will tell you, for example whether you have new voice messages, new email messages, or new fax messages (if you integrated Unity with a 3rd party fax solution that puts the fax into your inbox). Unity will tell you there are xxx saved messages in your inbox if you enable this feature in the subscriber's Unity account. When you press the key to listen to email, if you have the RealSpeak, text-to-speech functionality, Unity will read the text of your email messages to you (it will even tell you if you have attachments). So yes, Unity is reading email messages. By default, the Unity conversation New Messages Menu (what you hear when you check new messages by phone), is set to also play non-deliverable messages, which is what you are hearing. Unity is not flagging the message as an NDR, it is a real email NDR message. Likewise, when you delete a message from Outlook, Unity no longer sees it in the inbox when you call to check messages. When you did the Unity installation, remember the Unitymsgstoresvc account you enabled for specific permissions? This is the account that is logging into your mailbox when you call into Unity and sign-in. Hope this helps!

Ginger

Ginger,

Ok - I think I've got it now. By default Unity tells me about and plays voice messages and non-deliverable messages. It doesn't play (or tell me about)emails unless I have the RealSpeak feature. I can turn off the ndr's by using advanced settings.

Thanks so much from a Unity rookie :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: