Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.x UM/VM and ex03/07

tim.frazee
Level 4
Level 4

hello

I have a question about how Unity 5 works with both UM (unified messaging) and VM (voice mail) at the same time. I hear this can be done.

If this can be done, how does the message store work? One message store on-box for VM (exchange 2003 bundled with unity 5) AND the exchange server you use for UM?

Also,

If this is how it works, can the off-box message store be exchange 2007?

Thank you very much.

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This feature allows you to have a mixture of VM and UM licenses on a single Unity server. There will only be a single message store which will be the off-box Exchange server. VM only users will have a separate VM AD account. UM users will have a single account for VM and email. Exchange 2007 is supported in this environment. See the following links.

Licensing for Mixed Voice Messaging/Unified Messaging (Cisco Unity Versions 4.2 and 5.x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/cuumvme.html

System Requirements for Cisco Unity Release 5.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472166

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Brandon,

I read both of your links you provided. I dont see where it says 'has to be one mail store for mixed'.

From the Exchange requirements, it looks like for UM it has to be on a remote mailstore (duh, but VM can be remote OR local mailstore.

From the first link, I found this: "Also consider creating dedicated mailbox stores for Voice Messaging subscribers, or if you have enough subscribers, place them on a dedicated Exchange server."

Seems like it wants to be put UM on one mailstore and VM on another for best practice.

Am I wrong or missing something?

Thanks for your help.

"Mailbox store" here is used in the Exchange sense of the word. You can have multiple mailbox stores on a given Exchange server. These are simply groups of mailboxes that can be managed separately. Unity only ever has a single mailstore even if using multiple Exchange servers. In this case, Unity has one partner server which it always talks to. If there are multiple servers, Exchange handles this routing, etc. I guess it would be possible to have Exchange on the Unity server and a separate Exchange server off box which use the same AD. In this case, you could divide your UM/VM users between the servers. I'm not sure, but I doubt this is recommended or supported.

Brandon

OK. I think I understand most of it. Here is the last thing I don't understand.

If its supposed to be a single mailstore,and all my voicemail boxes are off-box. UM and VM.

How does exchange 2007 know about the CALs that are covered by the Unity licenses for the VM accounts, vs. the Exchange 2007 CAL that the end-user covers for their inbox for UM.

I haven't had my hands on Exchange 2007 yet, but previous versions of Exchange do not enforce licensing. So, it's really on the honor system and Exchange does not really need to know about these licenses.

Brandon

From what I know, you are correct on the previous versions of Exchange's licensing method(s).

But, from what I have learned about 2007, that changed and now it is enforced.

After thinking this through again, I'm guessing that mixed licensing is not supported with Exchange 2007 since VM only is not supported with 2007 according to the System Requirements doc and you would essentially have a voicemail only deployment for some users.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472166

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: