cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7.0 Unified Messaging Licensing Problem

paulhawker
Level 1
Level 1

We have just purchased an upgrade from Unity 4.0(5) to Unity 7.0(2) and a new server.

On the old server we have 310 ordinary voicemail only subscriber licenses as well as 310 unified messaging subscriber licenses and we are currently using only the 310 voicemail subscriber licenses.

On the new server we have bought upgrade licenses and the new license is showing 310 unified messaging subscriber licenses but 0 voicemail only subscriber licenses.

We are therefore getting an licensing violation message immediately after installing Unity on the new server and importing the new license as the server is saying that it is using 1x voicemail only subscriber license when we have none available.

How do I get the server to use the unified messaging license instead of the voicemail only license as there was no option for Unified during installation?

Is there a way to change the existing user accounts from using voicemail licenses to unified licenses please when I import them using DIRT restore or COBRAS import?

Many thanks!

12 Replies 12

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Class of Service for each subsriber determines which license they use. In web admin, go to Subscribers > Class of Service > Features and you will see Cisco Unity Subscriber Type. You can change this from Voice Messaging to Unified Messaging to change the license used.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks a lot for that.

I changed the Class of Service for the Default Subscriber and all the subscribers now appear to be using the Unified license like you said.

We have another problem however - the number of voice port licenses is set to 0 so the Unity server won't start unless I use the demo license.

We definately purchased 32 voice port licenses with part code UNITY7-SL32-VUP and have received this as the part code was on the box that included the rest of the Unity DVDs. However, there was no PAK code for this part code.

Should there have been a second PAK code to register for a second license file for the voice ports or should it have been included in the same license file as the subscriber and upgrade license?

I have emailed licensing@cisco.com explaining the problem last Friday but have yet to receive a response, was this the correct thing to do?

Many thanks, Paul

The voice ports should have been included with the original license. Yes, emailing licensing@cisco.com is the thing to do. They've generally been responsive when I've had to contact them in the past. I would follow up with another email today.

Brandon

I've finally had a response from licensing@cisco.com!

They have said that the reason we are missing features is because we need to re-use the original licnese files from the old Unity version.

However, this was the first thing we tried to do and the server wouldn't accept them as we are running the new Unity version on a brand new server with a different hostname and MAC address.

Do you know how we can reuse the old Unity 4.0(5) licenses on our new Unity 7.0(2) server please?

Many thanks!

You'll need to email licensing@cisco.com again and get them to rehost the license file to the new MAC address.

Brandon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Just to add a quick question here to the great tips from my friend Brandon (+5 points "B")

In your original post here it almost sounds like you had licensing for 620 users (combined

VM only and Unified) Now we are only referring to 310, I just wanted to make sure that you

didn't lose 310 licenses somewhere during this process as these can be quite expen$ive

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob, sorry for the delayed reply I haven't logged onto here for a few weeks. I don't think we've lost any licenses.

After a nightmare with Cisco licensing we finally managed to get the correct migrated Unity 4.0 licenses for our new server. They sent them in several files for some reason, but I found a combination of 4 of them that gave the correct license count that matched the licenses on our old server.

The licenses we have on the Unity 4 system are as follows:

License Feature

Unity 4.0(5) License Files Total

AMIS

Not Licensed

Languages

Message recording full length

Licensed

License pooling

Not Licensed

Realspeak sessions

Cisco Unity Subscriber

Cisco Unity Subscriber Feature – Unified Messaging

Voice recognition sessions

N/A

Cisco Unity Subscriber Feature – Unity Inbox

VPIM

Not Licensed

Secondary Unity Server

Not Licensed

Voice Ports

Now I am trying again to upgrade this system to 7.0, but this time it's an in place upgrade as we're now on the new server hardware already.

As I understand it we just need to add the extra upgrade license to the already installed 4x Unity 4.0 licenses during the upgrade correct?

When I try this, however, it increments the license features as follows:

License Feature

Unity 4.0(5) License Files

New Unity 7.0(2) License File

Total Licenses Shown

AMIS

Not Licensed

Licensed

Licensed

Languages

Message recording full length

Licensed

Licensed

Licensed

License pooling

Not Licensed

Licensed

Licensed

Realspeak sessions

Cisco Unity Subscriber

Cisco Unity Subscriber Feature – Unified Messaging

Voice recognition sessions

N/A

Cisco Unity Subscriber Feature – Unity Inbox

VPIM

Not Licensed

Licensed

Licensed

Secondary Unity Server

Not Licensed

Not Licensed

Not Licensed

Voice Ports

Upgrade from Unity 4.x

N/A

Licensed

Licensed

Is this the correct number of licenses that should be showing? We were only expecting to have 310 UM licenses and 32 voice ports. I also tried just using the upgrade license on it's own but this doesn't work as there are 0 "Cisco Unity Subscriber" licenses in it so we get a licensing violation error.

Thanks, Paul

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

No worries my friend, we are all busy these days

Yes, these numbers do look correct to me. I just didn't want you to lose

anything along the migration path.

Best of luck!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

If we really do own 620 UM licenses and 48 voice ports that is brilliant news as we are just about to buy 80 more UM licenses to bring us from 310 to 400 so this would mean we don't need them.

Call my cynical however, but are you absolutely sure?

I just can't work out how we would have ended up doubling the amount of UM licenses we own to 620 during the upgrade?

For the upgrade we ordered the following:

1x MCS-7825-I4-ECS1

1x UNITY-VUP-K9

310x UNITY7-VUP-VM-E

1x UNITY7-SL32-VUP

I thought this gave us the new server, the upgrade license, 310x UM licenses and 32x voice port licenses.

If we have really ended up with 620x UM licenses and 48x voice ports, then presumably we made a mistake and over-ordered the last 2 items as they weren't necessary? Last of all, if in Unity 7 you no longer need to specify between UM and Voice licenses, then why doesn't the Voice and UM license count both show as 620?

Hey Paul,

Sorry about that (poor reply). What I meant is that you didn't gain

or lose any Licenses. You had 310 with the 4.x license and you still

have 310 with the 7.x License The only increase is the port change from 16 to 32.

Cheers!

Rob

Oh OK then, yes the new upgrade license file does look correct when viewed on it's own.

The problem is when installed and combined with the existing Unity 4.x licenses, why is the system showing more licenses than we own, ie. doubling the UM licenses to 620, and adding the old 16 voice port licenses to the new 32 voice port licenses to show 48 voice port licenses?

Do you think it is a problem somewhere in the new license file that is telling the server to add the new license features on rather than replace the license features on old 4.x license files?

If so I can go back to licensing@cisco.com and ask them to correct it again.

I just need to get this rectified so the upgraded server shows the correct license counts...

I don't see why I can't just have 1 new license file with the correct entries in but that would be far too easy!

I don't recall where it is documented - it may be one of the UC apps ordering guides.  However, it's not unusual to see more Subscribers then you are actually licensed for.  This is because in Unity 5x and up, the concept of VMO and UM went away.  Unity is UM but you can use it for VMO if you need/want to.  So, you'll see counts out of whack based on how they show the UM feature license vs. the standard feature license.  Essentially, the documentation I have seen says that your license file may show more licenses than you have rights to; however, you cannot configure more than the actual number of subscribers you do have licenses for.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: