Helpful
Replies

Unity and Exchange migration

mirceacun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody!

This is the situation:

Domain A – NT4, Exchange 5.5(on windows 2000), Unity 4.0(3) (on windows 2000) and some other servers;

Domain B – windows 2003(2 domain controllers, DNS, etc) and some other win 2003 member servers.

Scenario: We want to migrate Exchange 5.5 from domain A to exchange 2003 in domain B (on a win 2003 member server) using Exmerge export and import all mailboxes (60)on the new server. Obviously, at the same time we have to migrate also Unity and we would like to be hosted on one of the domain controllers (windows 2003). Now I know that the version we are running doesn’t work on windows 2003. My idea is to upgrade Unity to a version that works on win2003, perform a backup (Dirt) then move Exchange , then install the new version of unity on the Win 2003 Domain controller, specify as partner server the new exchange 2003, and restore from backup the configuration.

What do you think about this? Is it doable? I am really open to suggestions!

Thanks a lot,

Mike

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That will work fine - be sure to review the DiRt help for how accounts are created/bound to during a restore - if you have accounts already in your 2003 domain you want to use, you'll want to make sure their aliases match or use the alias mapping function of DiRT to make sure they bind to the right accounts instead of creating new ones - this is by far the most common issue with domain migrations like this.

you can get the latest versions of DiRT backup/restore and get at its help files on it home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Thanks a lot!

M