Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity and PBX Integration

jessakhanian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are trying to dual-integrate a single Unity server (Version 4.2.1, UM with Exchange 2K3) with an Ericsson MD110 PBX using the D/120U-LS card (it's already integrated with a CCM cluster). Some questions that come to mind:

1. With this type of integration, will we be able to "free-dial" an extension that's on the PBX without having to use the System Call Transfer function. This can be done with the native Unity subscribers, of course, but Unity won't transfer a call to an attached switch (whether CCM or another) unless you use a call handler or Internet/Exchange subscriber. If there are a lot of extensions that don't exist in Unity, then you can use the Caller System Transfer, but you'd have to map one of the keys on your AA call handler to first get to this sub-system.

2. Can you do a search by name, such as in using a Directory Handler, and have that be extended to the extensions on the PBX? I don't see how this would work without actually doing a bridge to another Voicemail system, such as Octel for example, but wanted to make sure. I know when several Unity servers are networked (digitally), you can extend the Directory Handler search criteria to the dialing domain or the Entire directory, so we'd be looking for something like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joseph

1 Reply 1

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would not try and run two voicemail systems. IT just gets really messy. Plan a migration of all users to Unity, then move them to Callmanager. Cisco recommends this anyways. But in some cases, you have to run dual voicemail systems. But in the Octel, VPIM or AMIS world, it can be seemless. If you do not use this, then you will have limitations such as transfers, voicemail forwards, etc.

You also have to plan which auto attendent will be the primary. Having two AA, can screw with end user expierences when callig in. My vote:

Migrate everyone to Unity

If transfer do not exist in Unity, use the System transfer. (please enter the extension you wish to dial) Unity that grabs those digits, pushes it back out to the PBX for call processing. If you try to use subscriber system transfer and they are not in Unity, error will occur.

hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: