cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Backup Dirt Vs 3rd party + client ? below

shaftstri
Level 1
Level 1

looking for feedback/advice on unity bacup statergy.

Cisco Docs suggest both are good ways

What is the best method DIRT or 3rd party

Also Client has said -->

I have set the DIRT backup as you asked and they are running every night at 10pm. The only problem is they do not overwrite any of the old backups. This means the folder that they are dumping into is growing approximately 300mb per night.

Can DIRT be configured to overwrite backups every 7 days or something.

Otherwise we need to determine a backup strategy that is more automated, than me having to go into the folder and deleting the old backups.

Version 4.0 5 UM

2 Replies 2

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DiRT backup requires you to completely reinstall Windows, SQL, Exch management tools (assuming that you have Exchange offbox in UM), all the service packs, Unity with same version, before you can do a DiRT restore. So the problem is that it will be slow to get Unity up and running.

3rd party backup with Veritas will get you back much quicker but you have to have sql agent.

VERY Important: Make sure you know how to restore. Test your backups to make sure it is successful

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My folder did not increase significantly (I attribute the size increase to the DiRT backup log). I think you might be backing up the users' messages too; if they are backing up their exch servers using 3rd party software, you don't have to worry about saving messages using DiRT.