Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Backup Options

nowcommsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I found a guide through Google for Backup Strategies and found that Cisco recommend Veritas BackupExec.

Has anyone any idea if IBM Tivoli Storage Manager would be a "supported" backup solution, and if so are there any caveats we might need to be aware of?

Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree with you that even today you would find links on cisco.com which would list Veritas as a supported backup utility. When you scroll down to the end of this page, it shows "Posted: Sat Sep 28 01:52:25 PDT 2002". I dont believe this link was every updated over the years.

As of now, The Unity BU does not test any 3rd party Backup Utility. They only test DiRT with Unity and therefore only that is "Officially Supported". If you wish to use the 3rd Party Backup utility, I'd recommend using it on a Lab Server before you install it in Production system to ensure that it does not affect Unity.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

From support prospective, the policy is the same for all 3rd party software(s) including Backup. The only TAC supported option would be to use DiRT which a Cisco Unity Backup tool.

If you use any other tool for Backup, you will have to contact the support team of the Software Vendor for support. Cisco TAC would not troubleshoot backup failures, errors when using any 3rd Party software. Also, if it is found that the software is affecting the funtionality of Unity, you can be asked to un-install the software. Please check:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/sysreq/40_sysrq.htm#wp507340

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply on that. If you see the following link you'll see specific instructions on how to set up Veritas as a backup agent from Cisco. Obviously its anybody's guess if this guide implies that Veritas is "supported" or "recommended".

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/sag/sag313/sag_0070.htm#48108

Cheers.

I agree with you that even today you would find links on cisco.com which would list Veritas as a supported backup utility. When you scroll down to the end of this page, it shows "Posted: Sat Sep 28 01:52:25 PDT 2002". I dont believe this link was every updated over the years.

As of now, The Unity BU does not test any 3rd party Backup Utility. They only test DiRT with Unity and therefore only that is "Officially Supported". If you wish to use the 3rd Party Backup utility, I'd recommend using it on a Lab Server before you install it in Production system to ensure that it does not affect Unity.

Ok fantastic, thanks for that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: