Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Bridge with Octel Serenade Networking Issues

We are migrating from Octel Serenade to Unity in a very large environment. Our Octel Serenade users are "power" users when it comes to voicemail networking. If the Octel Serenade feature exists for voicemail networking, they are using it. We are using Unity 4.0(4) and Unity Bridge 3.0(6). We are having major issues with directory synchronization and the passing of recorded names and headers.

We have a single Unity Bridge communicating with three Unity 4.0(4) systems all doing Unity voicemail (no Unified Messaging) and all in their own AD domains with their own local, on-box Exchange message store. On the Octel Serenade side, we have a single Serenade connected to the Unity bridge which only allows for analog Protocol 5 communication (hence many of our woes). From that single Serenade (our "bridgehead" if you will)we use Serenade Digital networking protocol 3 to communicate with the rest of the Octel Serenade network. We cannot get recorded names or header information to pass from a message sent by a Unity subscriber to an Octel subscriber. I really would like to find somebody out there who has an envronment similar to our who could provide some pointers. Not having a complete directory or recorded names is not acceptable to our user base.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Bridge with Octel Serenade Networking Issues

Does any namenet work (even for a single recorded & text name)? If that doesn't work, we'd have to look at just basic DTMF transfer between the bridge and the serenade. Is the directory updates only working in one direction or not at all? I.e. normally if a Unity subscriber were to send a message to an octel user, then the octel would turn around make an admin call to the bridge to retrieve the recorded/text name. There's nothing we can do on the bridge to force that to happen. For the other direction, we could add permanent entries in the bridge, which would cause it to call the octel and retrieve the information from there.

It appears we have some serious directory issues. After having some in depth conversations with Cisco recently, we have found that the Unity bridge solution does not support Octel Serenade like it does Octel Aria. Cisco internally was an Octel Aria shop with some Serenade systems, but the bridge product was developed around support for the Aria product line and protocols. There are issues because of the push/pull relationships of the way ASCII names and recorded names are updated. The directory we loaded on the Unity bridge needs to be rebuilt. It's not even staying in synch with the two Unity systems using it. Our Unity systems are not in the same Active Directory forest. They are all separate, distinct installations.

Any way, we have Cisco coming in to work with us, so I'm going to close this post out. If anyone else has experience migrating from an Octel Serenade to Unity environment, I'd be more than willing to discuss strategies.

So are you saying that it does work for some users, but not others? I have seen an issue with Unity and VMO only that if subscribers do not record their names, they are not listed in the directory using the TUI. For whatever reason I am not sure. We were deploying many sites with VMO only for phase one and it seemed as if the subscribers didnt not go through enrollment, they would not be listed in the directory (record name, etc) You could reach them by entering their extension, vm would work, etc.. but the directory would not.

Check that angle out and see if it's similar. Possibly Octel is not retrieving the recorded name because their is none or the subscriber has not finished setting up the vm box.

Try and isolate the problem on the Unity side. can subscribers go from unity vm box to unity vm box (forward a VM, then listen and here the subscribers voice that sent the message?) If Unity is working, then it's down the Bridge and Octel.

Also, if you have three Unity servers, have they been setup for one domain or domains? normally, Unity servers networked together will need to have a unique ID and the check mark box on to share directories if they are spread out. (to form one multi server directroy, mostly for site to WAN site)

hope this helps (at all?)

tc

Views
Helpful
Replies