cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Cobras 4.0.5 (VMO) to 8.0.3 (Unified)

Just did a test import for 1 account. All her ‘read’ voicemails from the VMO are imported as ‘unread’ messages in UM. Which is fine, but the voicemail time stamps are changed to the ‘time of import’. Is there a way to preserve the existing timestamp of voicemail during import?

Also if possible, maintain the 'read' or 'unread' receipts?

Thanks

Senthil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is covered in the help file for COBRAS - I marked it red hoping it would draw folks' attention but it's a large help file, I know...

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc267563454

Short version - if you're importing into Unity Connection I have complete control over all message properties since the message store is ours in that case.  Time stamps, read state etc... are all fully adjustable.

Importing into Unity I don't have that level of control since the mailstore is owned by Exchange.  You can import message and set the "time arrived" stamp but Exchange then restamps it when the message is added to your store.  You have to have special rights to the mailstore to run through _after_ the import and fiddle with this - rights that we didn't want to tangle with for COBRAS (we did for DiRT and it was an epic disaster of escallations as folks failed time and again to actually obtain the special rights necessary to pull this off).  The read status falls into the same category.

Not much I can do using the open DOH interfaces (provided by Unity) for doing message backup/restore - I'd have to retool it to do direct MAPI fiddling and demand you run the application as a user with essentially super user mailstore rights and a domain admin (kiss of death in many enterprise orgs) - so we opted not to go that route.

You can use ExMerge (provided by Microsoft) for moving message instead (you will need send as/recieve as rights on all mailstores for that) - it will preserve most data on messages but you'll have to do this seperately from the COBRAS restore - I know a few sites that have gone this route.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is covered in the help file for COBRAS - I marked it red hoping it would draw folks' attention but it's a large help file, I know...

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc267563454

Short version - if you're importing into Unity Connection I have complete control over all message properties since the message store is ours in that case.  Time stamps, read state etc... are all fully adjustable.

Importing into Unity I don't have that level of control since the mailstore is owned by Exchange.  You can import message and set the "time arrived" stamp but Exchange then restamps it when the message is added to your store.  You have to have special rights to the mailstore to run through _after_ the import and fiddle with this - rights that we didn't want to tangle with for COBRAS (we did for DiRT and it was an epic disaster of escallations as folks failed time and again to actually obtain the special rights necessary to pull this off).  The read status falls into the same category.

Not much I can do using the open DOH interfaces (provided by Unity) for doing message backup/restore - I'd have to retool it to do direct MAPI fiddling and demand you run the application as a user with essentially super user mailstore rights and a domain admin (kiss of death in many enterprise orgs) - so we opted not to go that route.

You can use ExMerge (provided by Microsoft) for moving message instead (you will need send as/recieve as rights on all mailstores for that) - it will preserve most data on messages but you'll have to do this seperately from the COBRAS restore - I know a few sites that have gone this route.

Thanks Jeff.

-Senthil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: