Helpful
Replies

Unity configuration.

johnleeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

could someone help me what should

I consider when implementing Unity system with CCM? I mean licence, HW, SW..and so on.

BR

jl

8 Replies 8

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a big subject. As a starting place, consider the following.

1. How many users/subscribers do you have?

2. How many people access voicemail simultaneously?

3. Will any users use the notification feature?

4. Will Unity be used for auto attendant functions?

All of these things will determine the hardware needed and the number of subscribers and ports you will need licenses for.

Here are a couple of good links to get you started

Cisco Unity Design Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_implementation_design_guide_book09186a008022f63b.html

Cisco IP Telephony SRND

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a0080447520.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

first thanks for advice.

I have additional questions :

We have about up to 300 users. Why its important

to know simultaneous access? What does it mean

notification feature? Why is it important to know

if Unity will be used with attendant functions.?

I read links you send me and let you know and

I will rate your answer later.

Many thanks.

John

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Start with how many subscribers you are going to need. Then estimate the number of ports needed - this will be the max number of ports used to call voicemail at any given time.

As for hardware, here is the guideline.

Cisco Unity Supported Platforms List

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_data_sheet0900aecd802132ef.html

When you decide how many subscribers and ports you want, you would then purchase the license and software.

Hi Hin,

first many thanks for your answer too.

We have up to 300 users.What does it mean.ports needed? I know that Cisco rates everything in points,

so IP phone has 1 point and voice GW has for instance

3 points/DS0 than what is port? And where it mirrors

in configuration related to CCM+Unity ?

BR

jl

Tapi devices, including voicemail ports are weighted 20 points.

I don't know how busy your system is so I would not know how many ports you would need. I suppose you could start with 24 ports and go up from there.

I have question about terminology:

When I read some document I read Cisco Unity

Unified Messaging and Cisco Unity Voice Messaging.

It is related to two products or it is the same ?

BR

jl

Unified Messaging is the integration of email, voicemail, and optionally fax messages. Voice Messaging is a voicemail only solution.

To answer your previous question, it's important to know simultaneous users, users using message notification, and if you will use auto attendant functionality because the number of ports or sessions that you license will depend on these facts. The terms port and session are used interchangeably in Unity. The message notification feature allows a user to be notified at an external phone number or email address when they have a new message. A port/session is in use when a caller leaves a message, when a user checks their voicemail, when Unity turns a MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) on or off, when Unity dials out to notify a user of a new message, and when a caller utilizes an auto attendant menu provided by Unity. So, if you have a license for 16 ports, only 16 of any of these events could be happening at any given time. You can license up to 72 ports on a single Unity server.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Were your questions answered by the previous posts? If so, would you mind to rate the post or posts that were helpful? If not, please let me know where you need further clarification.

Thanks,

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: