Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7 IMAP exchange 2007

craig.buchanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Looking for abit of clarification on exactly how Unity Connection 7 should interact with Exchange 2007.

The site concerned has 2 exchange 2007 servers, one of which is the Hub transport server, and behind which is the mailbox server. The IT dept who manage these servers do not want to enable IMAP on the mailbox server, and that having IMAP running on the HT server should be sufficent.

Currently when attempting to connect to the exchange HT server the test option fails with the message The service port for IMAP is not functional followed by Un-expected responses were received from the service port. The response is Received unexpected response from server!.

I am trying to establish whether uc 7 should be able to create an imap connection with their HT server or as I beleive; that imap needs to be running on the message store server.

The lack of postings on the internet relating to problems with UC7 and imap conection to exchange 07 leads me to beleive this should be a straight forward process.

Any guidence or comments on this setup is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Craig,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  I'm assuming from the explanation, you're trying to setup an external service for calendar integration with Exchange?  While I don't have an answer as to which server you need to have IMAP enabled on in the cluster, I've seen where customers are just trying to get IMAP functionality working from end users' workstations to UC, and they go through the headache of configuring an external service when in fact thats not needed.  Simple IMAP connectivity from end users' workstations is 1) a licensed feature 2) enabled through the class of service for users.

Sorry for not being able to answer your original question, but maybe this will clarify some things that I've seen which are commonly misunderstood.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad.

Appologies if I wasnt clear in my original post. Basically just want voicemail messages sent via email to the users. I was under the impression that Unity connection would allow me to do this through IMAP.

FYI,I took a laptop with outlook and put it on the same subnet as UC and made a successful IMAP connection to the HT exchange server, so I guess the IT guys were right.

So in short am I trying to do something that Unity connection is not capable of doing or have I some issues with my setup?

Thanks.

Craig,

It depends on what version of UC you're running.  7.1(2) and later introduced a new feature called "Accept and Relay" where a copy can be sent to an external email account.  Granted, any action taken upon the relayed message will not trigger MWI since its not locally modifying the message in the UC database.  The original message will still need to be deleted from the phone.

Here's the documentation on how to set it up:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/release/notes/712cucrn.html#wp377292

Hope that helps,

Brad

Again, thanks for the reply.

This is what originally made me think I could get UC to work like our old Unity 4.x setup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag295.html#wp1066744

"If you configure Cisco Unity Connection to integrate with Exchange 2007, users can access emails in an Exchange 2007 message store."

I think i may of misunderstood the documentation, in that "users can access emails in Exchange" is with reference to the TTS feature rather than the user being able to retreive voicemail messages from their inbox.

We currently have version 7.0.2 so it looks like im going to have to look into the upgrade procedure to version 7.1.

Thanks for your help Brad...its cleared up the confusion.

Great, glad we could clarify!

Brad,

Can you please clarify something to me?

From what you've said, a copy of the e-mail message is sent to the SMTP Relay server. Does that mean that the WAV file is also sent to the Exchange account?

I'm asking because I've been reading some documentation and it's not clear there what is copied. A "text message notification" is referred.

Thanks in advance,

Zelino

Zelino,

These are 2 different types of notifications.  Accept and Relay will actually send a copy of the .wav file to the SMTP relay for delivery to the end user.  Text notification is just that, a text notification, no .wav file is sent.

Brad

Thanks for your reply Brad!

Maybe you can help me. to configure the Accept and Relay I just have to configure the Smart Host under SMTP configuration? Or is there any other configuration needed? Is it a user configurable parameter?

Thanks a lot,

Zelino

If you go to a user, select Edit>Message Actions and choose for the type of message you want to "Accept and Relay Message" for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: