cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 8.5 with Domino\Notes & Active Directory

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

A question has emerged in light of the LDAP integration issue Unity Connection lacks with the IBM Domino LDAP Database.  The customer was planning on testing a 2008 AD Domain this coming year and would be willing to set up 2008 DC’s in two locations to support the HA configuration we are installing for them. 

The question “will they lose any integration  / features / usability if they pursue this approach?  IE:  the CUCM / CUCXN / CUPS servers would leverage the AD LDAP directory for user authentication, but the end user would still be using the Domino LDAP directory for the Lotus NOTES client and other applications.  IF the users on CUCM authenticate against the AD Domain, and the Notes clients Authenticate against the Domino domain, will the plug-ins still function properly? 

I no NOTES/Domino experience.  Additionally the customer currently has no domain structure to speak of; all workstations are in (if you can believe it) Workgroups.

Thanks All,

Matt

2 Replies 2

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

to keep things moving...

This is an answer I got from a Cisco SE:

"If they are not doing anything with CUP’s then I don’t see an issue. They don’t even need to use a Unity Connection plug-in since they are using IMAP. They can double click on the .wav file that’s in their IMAP inbox and it will play.  Now the real question is if they want to do more integration with Notes and CUPC. So if they want to click to call from Notes, will the Jabber application recognize a name pulled in from domino? These types of scenarios is what we would need to figure out. Hopefully by that time they will have everything moved over to AD.  For just voicemail with an IMAP connection I don’t see how we are doing anything special."

That being said, does anyone else have any input?

So, having just came upon this at install time, the "gotcha" here is when Personal Communicator comes into play.  Without a supported LDAP db to dip, UPC users can't search for eachother, and cannot IM each other.  Call control is fine. I have NOT worked on the NOTES integration yet, but I can only assume there will be an issue with presence information being sent to and from the client.