Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 8.6 - Direct Routing Rules

pghninja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of moving users from Unity 5 to Unity Connection 8.6.  Right now when users call into the system from an external phone number into Unity 5 the are sent directly to the sign in greeting.  I noticed now that when I try and call from an unknown number I am then routed to the Opening Greeting.  I did some searching, but haven't been able to turn up much on how to send all calls to the "Attempt Sign In" even if they are not known extensions within Connections. 

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CMC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Corey,

The behavior you are seeing is the "expected" CUC default When calling from

outside the user must press * to be taken to the Sign-In conversation;

Calling Cisco Unity Connection

You can call Cisco Unity Connection from your desk phone,  from another phone within your organization, or from outside your  organization.

Procedure

Step 1   Dial the applicable number to call Connection.
Step 2   If you are calling from another phone within your organization or from outside your organization, press * (star key) when Connection answers.
Step 3   If prompted, enter your ID and press # (pound key).
Step 4   Enter your Connection PIN and press #.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user/guide/phone/8xcucugphone_chapter3.html

If you want users who call from their Mobile device, or home phones to be taken directly to Sign-in they can

be set up with Alternate Extensions under their main DN's;

Alternate Extensions

#

In  addition to the primary extension for each user, you can set  up  alternate extensions. Alternate extensions can be used for various  reasons,  such as handling multiple line appearances on user phones.  Alternate extensions  can also make calling Cisco Unity Connection from  an alternate device-such as a  mobile phone, a home phone, or a phone at  another work site-more convenient.

#

When  you specify the phone number for an alternative extension,  Connection  handles all calls from that number in the same way that it handles   calls from a primary extension (assuming that ANI or caller ID is passed  along  to Connection from the phone system). This means that Connection  associates the  alternate phone number with the user account, and when a  call comes from that  number, Connection prompts the user to enter a  password and log on.

#

If  users set an alternate device to forward to Connection,  callers can  hear the user greeting and leave messages for the user, just as they   would when dialing the primary extension of the user. (Callers can also  be  transferred to the alternate extension for a user from the automated  attendant.)  Users need to set forwarding from the device itself, not  in Connection. Note  that the phone number must be passed to Connection  for the system to recognize  the device.

#

Users can also address messages to an alternate extension that is  associated with another user.

#

Alternate  extensions are grouped into two categories:  administrator-defined  alternate extensions and user-defined alternate  extensions. Administrators can add up to 9 alternate extensions. Users can add  up to 10 alternate extensions  if they belong to a class of service that allows  them to manage  user-defined alternate extensions. Administrators can view and  edit  both administrator-defined and user-defined alternate extensions. Users  can  view administrator-defined alternate extensions if they belong to a  class of  service that allows them to.

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sky_voice
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Corey,

In Direct routing rules, verify you've all defaults in place. Usually when you install Unity Connection, you will see three rules.

1. Attempt sign in  >> Send calls to AttemptSignIn

2. Sign in  >> Send calls to SubSignIn

3. Opening greeting. >> PhGreeting

If your hunt pilot numbers in CUCM towards Unity Conn are in place then,

So if caller is external dialling voicemail pilot (configured in CUCM) should hit the right and ask for "enter your ID and then PIN". This will help to recognize system to identify the right VM account and trigger it accordingly.

And if it is known extension, (dialling internally to by pressing message button of phone or hunt pilot) should hit the right handler and ask for enter your PIN (not ID)

You can tweak, few external calls to directly, however that will not advisable and involves administrative interventions.

To make it simple, the defaults provided will work fine for you. Just ensure you've defaults in place.

Thank you,

Sky

Also make sure that, the direct routing rules in hierarchy as mentioned above 1, 2 & 3.

Sky,

Rate helpful posts.

Hi Sky,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have not changed anything in regards to the Direct Dialing Rules, but I only have two listed.

1. Attempt Sign In

2. Opening Greeting

Internally users calling the pilot number from their phone are only asked for a pin.  If I call from my mobile phone, I get the opening greeting and I am never asked to enter an ID and pin.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Corey,

The behavior you are seeing is the "expected" CUC default When calling from

outside the user must press * to be taken to the Sign-In conversation;

Calling Cisco Unity Connection

You can call Cisco Unity Connection from your desk phone,  from another phone within your organization, or from outside your  organization.

Procedure

Step 1   Dial the applicable number to call Connection.
Step 2   If you are calling from another phone within your organization or from outside your organization, press * (star key) when Connection answers.
Step 3   If prompted, enter your ID and press # (pound key).
Step 4   Enter your Connection PIN and press #.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user/guide/phone/8xcucugphone_chapter3.html

If you want users who call from their Mobile device, or home phones to be taken directly to Sign-in they can

be set up with Alternate Extensions under their main DN's;

Alternate Extensions

#

In  addition to the primary extension for each user, you can set  up  alternate extensions. Alternate extensions can be used for various  reasons,  such as handling multiple line appearances on user phones.  Alternate extensions  can also make calling Cisco Unity Connection from  an alternate device-such as a  mobile phone, a home phone, or a phone at  another work site-more convenient.

#

When  you specify the phone number for an alternative extension,  Connection  handles all calls from that number in the same way that it handles   calls from a primary extension (assuming that ANI or caller ID is passed  along  to Connection from the phone system). This means that Connection  associates the  alternate phone number with the user account, and when a  call comes from that  number, Connection prompts the user to enter a  password and log on.

#

If  users set an alternate device to forward to Connection,  callers can  hear the user greeting and leave messages for the user, just as they   would when dialing the primary extension of the user. (Callers can also  be  transferred to the alternate extension for a user from the automated  attendant.)  Users need to set forwarding from the device itself, not  in Connection. Note  that the phone number must be passed to Connection  for the system to recognize  the device.

#

Users can also address messages to an alternate extension that is  associated with another user.

#

Alternate  extensions are grouped into two categories:  administrator-defined  alternate extensions and user-defined alternate  extensions. Administrators can add up to 9 alternate extensions. Users can add  up to 10 alternate extensions  if they belong to a class of service that allows  them to manage  user-defined alternate extensions. Administrators can view and  edit  both administrator-defined and user-defined alternate extensions. Users  can  view administrator-defined alternate extensions if they belong to a  class of  service that allows them to.

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen