cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection single number voice and FAX

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

I had found a document awhile back showing a diagram of setting up Unity Connection behind a gateway that would detect FAX tone and route calls to a FAX server if FAX tone was detected. I can no longer find this document and would like to know if anyone else knows where it is located. I have found two documents that have a short desription of this feature and to go to the provided link to see how to configure, but the page linked doesn't say anything about the feature. The document I found previously had more information about the feature and also included a network diagram showing how it worked.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Mark

6 Replies 6

Craig Cooper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

The System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x, as a section in Chapter 32 called Creating a Cisco Fax Server Integration, and this includes information on how to configure it.   I don't see a diagram, but hopefully this might help.

Kind regards,

Craig

The document that you're looking for, I believe is here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Configuring_Fax_Detection_%28Single-Number_Voice_and_Fax%29_with_Cisco_Unity_Connection

Keep in mind this requires a little more than one might think when reading the description.  You need an IOS gateway running an application, Cisco Fax Server setup, and integrated with CUC...but let me know if this is the doc.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

David,

Thanks for the link, but I don't think this is the same document I had seen before. The one I recall seeing when this feature first came out, I believe, referred to requiring the CUCM to Unity Connection using SIP and having a SIP gateway between CUCM and Unity Connection to listen for FAX tone and route to a FAX server if it was detected.

I am looking to set up a Unity Connection and FAX server solution to emulate our current Avaya/Intuity environment. Intuity has a built in FAX server and FAX tone detection. If I receive a call on my phone and hear FAX tone, I can forward it to Intuity and it will be treated as a FAX.

What I was thinking I could do with Cisco CUCM/Unity Connection/FAX server to emulate this functionality is when I receive a call on my phone if I hear FAX tone, I can forward to Unity Connection which has a SIP/SIP gateway between it and CUCM that would listen for FAX tone and reroute to a FAX server if detecting it.

I may be wrong in my thinking, but I thought I had seen a document showing this same setup before. I'm also not sure if a POTS dialpeer is required for FAX tone detection. There wouldn't be one in a SIP/SIP gateway setup. G.711 is being used at our HQ location where this would be set up, so I'm not sure if T.38 FAX Relay would be required either.

Any thoughts on what I have described?

Thanks,

Mark

I think the only way I know how to make that works is the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/

guide/7xcucsag246.html#wp1049657

It's in the admin guide and part of the section on fax integration. Long

story short, you need:

Gateway that can provide CNG tone

TCL script running on the gateway

Gateway does fax detection (e.g., T.38 fax relay)

Cisco Fax Server

Unity Connection integrated with Cisco Fax Server

Unity, not Unity Connection, had some other options but some weren't very

scalable.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

On 11/26/10 12:11 PM, "mark-baker"

Thanks for the reply David,

I've seen this section of the admin guide but don't get much out of the short paragraph included. I'm looking for some more information than just "It can be done" which is all I am finding so far. For one thing, I don't think a Cisco FAX server would be the only FAX sever supported for the single number voice FAX setup as it states in the short paragraph of the admin guide. Wouldn't any FAX server that supports T.38 work?

Is there anyone that has set this up that could give some insight into this feature?

Thanks,

Mark

I'll leave you with this and I hope you get some takers on this thread that help you out with what you're specifically looking

to do:

Should any T.38 based fax server work?  Probably, the issue is in the integration with Unity Connection.  At this time (and since it's inception), Unity Connection ONLY supports integration with Cisco Fax Server which is the same as OEM Captaris / OpenText RightFax.  It is believed that Unity Connection will support other integrations in the future (as the Unity product does today) as the integration shouldn't be too complex.  However, that's not currently the case...the only thing you get with Unity Connection right now is Cisco fax server integration.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: