Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Connection synchronization traffic

We have two sites and one UCM 8.6 cluster. Those sites are connected with 20m mpls link. Each site has its own Unity Conn cluster running UCM ver 8.6.

Instead of maintaining two unity conn clusters in a single UCM cluster environment, we want to consolidate them into a single cluster and keep one server in each site. Site A has 600 mailboxes and site B has about 400. Total number of voicemail ports configured in UCM are 240.

Now my questions are:
1. How do I calculate the total wan bandwidth requirement for the above scenario? Is it based on the number of ports? Or the number of new voice messages that arrive to one of the servers? Or there is something more? Is it possible that even if there are no new messages and no changes in the database, certain amount of bandwidth is always taken for the synchronization? If somebody could explain it to me , that would be a really great help. Besides that what is the difference in terms of the bandwidth requirements between digital networking two cuc clusters vs one cluster across the wan as described above?

Thanks, Khanal

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Connection synchronization traffic

The system requirements docs online for CUC answer your questions, theres a section on clusters and BW per ports.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You need 7 Mbps for each 50 port, so if you max out the system to 250 port it would require 35 mbps. This is described in the CUC design guide.

In reallity you will not see this much traffic even if all ports are utilized and traffic is being replicated across the servers, I did some baseline testing some time ago and never got close to these numbers, but this is what Cisco is sticking with, so you need to go with it.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you Chris and Jaime for taking time to respond to my request. Per Chris, it looks like I will need 30+ mbps just for Unity connection replication traffic which is certainly not possible given the cost in my situation. Is it correct to assume that the total bandwidth requirement is based on how many ports are active at a given time? If only 50 people access voicemails at a given time, does that mean total bandwidth requirement will be 7 mbps? Besides the bandwidth requirements on per port basis, what else need the bandwidth? Also what is the difference in terms of bandwidth requirement if I go with digital networking vs, creating a single cuc cluster across the WAN?

Thank you so much for your help on this.

Khanal

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Unity Connection synchronization traffic

You are spot on with your understanding. You may not need all 250 ports.
The difference between clustering us that you are replications the message to the other server real time, if you have separate cluster connected via intra link you never replicate the messages across.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content