cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection VPIM Bridgehead for CUC/CU hybrid environment

rwolfe
Level 1
Level 1

I have an environment in which there are two CU clusters on 4.05 without VPIM licenses.  AMIS is the current transport mechanism for a legacy Centrex integration.  We are moving to Unity Connection and TAC has mentioned that it is possible to use the new Unity Connection server as the VPIM bridgehead server, controlling licensing of VPIM for the entire cluster, including the unlicensed 4.05 clusters, negating the need for VPIM licenses for the two leagcy clusters.

Has anyone validated that this will work?  I'm going to test it in the lab, but if anyone can confirm or deny, that will be a good start.

Thanks,

-rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rob,

If I understand you correctly, you have UnityA failover pair, and UnityB failover pair, using AMIS to send to a legacy system.  You have a new UC server that you want to configure VPIM on in order to communicate with the old 4.0(5) servers.  The answer is that VPIM between Unity and UC is separate, no licensing can or will be shared between the different products.  Unity talks to AD/Exchange/Voice Connector to accomplish VPIM while UC has all of that built in under the hood and is completely independent of AD or any external "directory" for VPIM purposes.  You will need a VPIM license on the UC server.  You need also will need a VPIM license on at LEAST one of the UnityA or UnityB failover pairs.  The catch with only having to put 1 license on a single Unity pair is that that both UnityA and UnityB MUST be digitally networked (if they're not already) such that the Unity pair with the VPIM license installed will act as the VPIM bridgehead for both UnityA and UnityB clusters and will send VPIM messages out to the remote UC server.

Hope that helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rob,

If I understand you correctly, you have UnityA failover pair, and UnityB failover pair, using AMIS to send to a legacy system.  You have a new UC server that you want to configure VPIM on in order to communicate with the old 4.0(5) servers.  The answer is that VPIM between Unity and UC is separate, no licensing can or will be shared between the different products.  Unity talks to AD/Exchange/Voice Connector to accomplish VPIM while UC has all of that built in under the hood and is completely independent of AD or any external "directory" for VPIM purposes.  You will need a VPIM license on the UC server.  You need also will need a VPIM license on at LEAST one of the UnityA or UnityB failover pairs.  The catch with only having to put 1 license on a single Unity pair is that that both UnityA and UnityB MUST be digitally networked (if they're not already) such that the Unity pair with the VPIM license installed will act as the VPIM bridgehead for both UnityA and UnityB clusters and will send VPIM messages out to the remote UC server.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the quick response!  This is what I was thinking as well. We will get temp licenses to get the VPIM working on the 4.x cluster, as we are moving to 7.x and will not need them for long.

Thanks again,

-rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: