Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Blue

Unity Connections - Backup

DirT is listed as not supported as a backup utility for Unity. It is meant for a migration tool. Unity should be bcaked up with something like Veritas, etc.

With Unity Connections I have yet to see anything that says if DirT is supported as the sole backup application OR if something like Veritas should be used.

The second part is that if something like Veritas is required, a doc from Cisco needs to exist to outline what exactly needs to be backed up and the procedure to restore from this backup.

The problem with DirT is that by default the transaction logs are set to "Auto Grow" and DirT does not remove the transaction logs. A backup utility like Veritas does remove the transaction logs.

Anyway, anyone who can shed light on this so I can incorporate this into our best practices would be great.

adignan - berbee

6 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Unity Connections - Backup

anything on this?

Hi Andrew,

This is a stale thread but seems to be a common issue to meet client needs for a well-documented best practices methodology for Unity backup / restore.  I'm faced with the same question on a Unity 7.x / exchange off-box deployment. 

Do you have any insight gleaned since you first made this post a couple of years back!

TIA,

Amir

DirT is listed as not supported as a backup utility for Unity.  It is  meant for a migration tool.  Unity should be bcaked up with something  like Veritas, etc. --> DiRT can be used as a backup utility for Unity.  In fact, it is better to use DiRT than nothing at all.  However, a 3rd-party tool is recommended as a first choice.

With  Unity Connections I have yet to see anything that says if DirT is  supported as the sole backup application OR if something like Veritas  should be used. -->  DiRT does not exist for Unity Connection.  CUC uses the same backup utility as CUCM which is the built-in DRS.  You should back up via DRS and you need to have an FTP/sFTP host to send backups to.

The  second part is that if something like Veritas is required, a doc from  Cisco needs to exist to outline what exactly needs to be backed up and  the procedure to restore from this backup. --> Not supported with Cisco's Linux apps like CUC, CUCM, etc.  You cannot install 3rd-party agents.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi David,

Always appreciate your input.   I believe this client will use a 3rd party backup solution.  Is my understanding correct in that Cisco does NOT have a list of "approved" backup solution.  In other words, the client can use whatever the heck the want.

Lastly - should they simply buy 2 licenses of the backup solution of their liking for both the Unity and the Exchange servers and install on both servers?  If so, do you have any guidance on what data they should specifically target for backup on Unity and Exchange?  As opposed to simply doing wholesale backups of the entire file system.......

TIA,

Amir

First we have to distinguish between 2 products - UNITY and UNITY CONNECTION.  If we're talking UNITY CONNECTION, then my previous post stands firm.  DRS is the backup tool and no 3rd-party tools are allowed.  This post started out asking about UNITY CONNECTION.

If you're talking about UNITY, then yes you can use 3rd party backup tools and the rule of thumb is that as long as you test them....Cisco is OK with it.  As for licensing, that depends on the product but you will usually want to have machine backup, SQL backup, and Exchange backup capabilities.  In a UM environment, I would check with the Exchange folks to see what product they use and, if possible, purchase the same for UNITY.  You only need to worry about machine backups and the AD/Exchange folks will already be backing up the backend infrastructure.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for your time David.

Amir

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content