cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connecton - How to handle ldap username changes

craig.petty
Level 1
Level 1

Our Unity Connection users are integrated with LDAP (Active Directory).  Sometimes a user's name will change, due to marriage for example.  When this happens the mailbox user shows something like "Inactive user disabled in LDAP".  How can I re-associate the mailbox acct to the renamed LDAP user without exporting/deleting/importing using COBRAS?

Here's what I tried and it seems to work, but I'm wondering if there's a better way, as this method is not something that can be delegated to helpdesk staff, and there's one annoying side effect.

1. When the mailbox user was in the "inactive user" state the previously greyed-out alias field was now editable.  I updated it to match the new ldap username.

2. Used BAT with a csv file similar to the following to update the LdapCcmUserId mailbox field.

Alias,Extension,LdapCcmUserId

esmith,78100,esmith

3. performed a Full Ldap sync (may not be necessary)
Now the user can login to ciscopca using Active Directory credentials, but if I view the mailbox in CUC Administration it says the user integrated with both CUCM *and* LDAP!  For example:
"This user is integrated with a Cisco Unified Communications Manager end user.  Some fields may be disabled."
"Active User Imported from LDAP Directory"
strange.
Looking for a better method.
4 Replies 4

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I know this is an old post but i will soon be running into a similar situation, a client will be changing AD and at the same time will be changing the structure of the SAM Account name and they will all be different and not match.

Did you find an alternative way of doing this or is this still the best method?

Do you know if COBRAS is capable of doing anything for this?

Thanks,

Richard 

I have not seen a better way to do it other than using BAT as described above.  I'm not much of a COBRAS expert, so I'm don't know what is available there.

OK - Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks for posting this.  I'm dealing with this today:

CUCM had no issue rectifying the new user in AD. CUC is another story.  It's surprising this isn't discussed more; and more so that this sort of change isn't accounted for in the SOP.

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: