cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Dial By Name Displays VM Port

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

We have the Dial By Name setup on our main menu on our phone system. When someone uses this option, the call shows the VM port number on the phone display until the call is picked up. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks!

6 Replies 6

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

- What is your Unity version?

- If you change to dial by extension pressing the # key twice is the VM port number displayed?

- If you go to the VM port in CCMAdmin what do you have in the 'Directory Number Information' part?

Unity 4.0(4)

CallManager 4.1(3)

Not sure what you get if you do the ## to dial by extension.

The Directory Number for the VM ports is 09110xx (xx being 01, 02, 03...etc).

And Display (Internal Caller ID) is Voicemail.

So when someone hits the AA, picks the Dial By Name options the destination phone shows "Voicemail 09110xx" on the phone while it's ringing. As soon as you pick it up it displays the actual incoming caller's name and number.

What you describe sounds like expected behavior for a supervised transfer. I would think you'd get the same results independent of the Dial By Name feature. Here's an explanation that I just posted on another thread...

Suppose PhoneA calls PhoneB and then PhoneB transfers the call to PhoneC. During the transfer, A is placed on hold and B initiates a new call (consultation call) to C. For this consultation call, B is the calling party and hence C is expected to see the B's number in the display. Once B releases the transfer, A and C will be connected. At this time, C's display should be updated to show A's number.

The only thing you could do to get A's number on C's display quicker would be to select blind transfers rather than supervised. If you are already using blind transfers, then I don't know of anything you can do to improve the behavior.

-Eric

I don't see an option in the Directory Handler to do a Blind transfer instead of a Supervised so I guess I'm stuck.

I don't think the directory handler would have a transfer setting that overrides individual subscriber transfer settings. Basically when you dial by name in the directory handler, the call is routed to the specific subscribers transfer rule. So that's where you'd need to select release or supervised transfers. Having the transfers set per subscriber allows folks to have independent control over call screening features and such.

-Eric

Worked like a charm! Changed the subscribers transfer setting to Release to Switch rather than Supervised and you now get the proper Caller ID without picking up the phone!

Are there any downsides to this? From what I read, it would only really be an issue if you didn't have any forward settings on a phone, but if a phone is set to go to voicemail if it's not answered, then it's fine.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: