Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Digital Networking - Dial ID & Dialing Domain

We implemented Centralized Call Processing and Centralized Messaging deployment model with one CM cluster (one CM publisher and one CM subscriber), and one Unity server with on-box message store (Exchange 2000) serving users at multiple sites. The Unity server running in production can support up to 2200 subcriber mailboxes and max 48 ports. Customer is expanding and they now require more than 2200 subscriber mailboxes and more voice ports.

1. To provide additional subscriber mailboxes and voice ports, we plan to install a second Unity server in the same AD and global directory with the existing Unity server. The second Unity server will be licensed with 2200 subscriber and 48 ports (same as the existing Unity server). Both Unity servers will be set up with Digital Networking and both Unity servers will be connected to the same CM cluster.

Is there anything we need to watch out?

2. In the above scenario, user's phone DN is unique, there is no overlap in the numbering plan among sites. The user's mailbox DN is also the same 4-digit number as the phone DN. Users at each site just dial a 4-digit DN to reach users at other sites. When they do digital networking, they also want to just enter the 4-digit mailbox DN to compose/send voice messages. When we configure Digital Networking in each of the above two Unity servers, can we just leave the Dial ID as blank in primary location and delivery location? Do we need to create a name for the Dialing Domain for the primary and delivery locations?

2 REPLIES

Re: Unity Digital Networking - Dial ID & Dialing Domain

Hello -

Here is the online Help Information for the Dial ID field - it is still required even though, as in your case, you do not have overlapping dial plans. See #5 listed below.

"Enter the ID that identifies the primary location. Enter numbers only, up to a maximum of 10 digits. The default minimum length is 3 digits.

Although the minimum length for Dial IDs can be reduced by using the Advanced Settings Tool, one- and two-digit Dial IDs may conflict with private distribution list IDs during an address search. When a subscriber addresses a message by entering a one- or two-digit number, Cisco Unity first searches for a matching private distribution list. If a match is found, the search stops. Therefore, when a subscriber addresses a message by entering a location Dial ID to narrow down the search scope to a particular location, if the number entered matches a private distribution list ID, the conversation offers only the private distribution list as a destination. If subscribers do not address messages to other locations by first entering a Dial ID, there is no conflict and the minimum length for Dial IDs can be reduced to accommodate complex dial plans.

The following policies are recommended:

1. Establish a fixed length for Dial IDs and if possible, a fixed length for extensions.

2. Assign unique Dial IDs. (One for each Unity server)

3. If you use variable-length Dial IDs and extensions, the Dial IDs should be in a different numbering range than extensions.

4. If you use variable-length Dial IDs, the first digits of each ID should be unique with respect to other Dial IDs. (For example, do not create Dial IDs like 432 and 4325.)

5. Even if the Dial ID will never be used by subscribers when they address messages, enter a number that does not conflict with extensions, such as 001 or 002."

For the Dialing Domain, create this on your first Unity server. You can do this in advance without putting the Unity server into this dialing domain. Once you have the second Unity server built, through replication, it will see the dialing domain and you can select it from both servers.

There are additional advanced settings you need to do for message addressibility, especially if you want identified subscriber messaging. It's all laid out in the Digital Networking section - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a0080449a44.html#wp1359995

This is the 4.0(5) guide. I believe there is an addendum for 4.1, if that's where you are going, but should be listed in the release notes.

Regards, Ginger

Re: Unity Digital Networking - Dial ID & Dialing Domain

Ginger, awesome reply as always... but my question is... what if I have one Unity server centralized in one AD domain. I have 20 remote offices connecting to my central CallManager cluster and Unity VM Only platform. In my 20 sites, I have overlapping 4 digit extensions. The only way around this is to use the site codes from CallManager.

At HQ, John Doe has ext 4001 at his desk. In Unity, it is configured for site code 600+4001 so it looks like 6004001 for his VM only box. The subscriber does to see this, only if he is checking vm from another phone. (login with your complete mailbox number.

In San Jose, Jane Doe has ext 4001 at her desk. In Unity it is configured for side code 700+4001 so it looks like 7004001 for her mailbox. The subscriber does not know this, only if she is checking vm from another phone.

The only way to effectively use dialing domains is to use sepereate Unity servers correct? We are trying to figure out a way instead of changing everyone's 4 digit VM to 7 digit vmail if there was a way around this. But from what I can tell, if we centralize Unity, we will have to use the 7 digit mailbox number .

I have done dialing domains between sites with decentralized Unity servers. They were linked through AD and Dial domains. And the global directory worked fine. If I had two extension of 4001, Unity would ask me "press 1 for Jane Doe or press 2 for John Doe" and then route it correctly.

To throw one more ringer in there, have you seen an documentation on seperate Unity domains and creating a bridge? Example. Company A aquires Company B. They both use Unity VM only. Is there a way to configure the two seperate Unity Domains to be able to foward messeges between the two companies? Or are we talking about a whole Active Directory structure "adjustments" (create a trust between the two AD Unity domains, migrate Exchange, etc blah blah)

Cheers!

Views
Helpful
Replies