cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity duplicate server name. How to fix.

vivian.le
Level 1
Level 1

Running Unity 4.2(1)VMO with Exchange 2000. When this was built, it was accidentally given a name that happened to be the same as a name of another non-production Unity server on the network. Of course this is causing problems with the new server as the options for adding subscribers and PDL's are grayed out. We are able to power down the non-production server, but it hasn't resolved the issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this without rebuilding the server? Anybody have any clues to where I need to look at in Exchange or AD to start troubleshooting? Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't just change the name of a server (this is not a Unity specific issue by any stretch) - there are way too many dependencies in SQL, Exchange etc... The only option you have is to do a DiRT backup, rebuild the box with a unique name and then do a DiRT restore - the DiRT restore process handles all the internal server name references for you in the Unity database.

Jeff,

Thanks for your quick response. I understand what you're saying and will end up rebuilding. But I'm also curious as to why if server A (in domain X) and server B (in domain Y) are discovered to both have the same name, why then if server B is shut down, what's causing server A from working properly. Any ideas as to what may be pointing to server B that broke my server A installation?

Hi -

Is the DNS host name (A) record of the Unity server pointing to the old Unity server's IP address?

Ginger

That was my thought. If they are in seperate domains, it shouldnt matter, but it does matter if the DNS records are screwed up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: