Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Exchange to Off-Server Message Store

We have an existing Unity 4.03 install with an Exchange 2000 store in voicemail-only configuration. Two Unity servers are connected by WAN. The servers are both DCs on an isolated ADS forest called "vmoregon.com". I would like to move the message stores to existing Exchange 2003 servers on an established ADS system, using the Unity servers as VM servers only. I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Can I do this with the non-Unified Messaging Unity?

2. What other issues might I have? I realize names have to match (most do).

I have read the docs on migrating Unity message store locations, and it looks doable, but it is not clear if I can use a production Exchange system without licensing Unified Messaging. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES

Re: Unity Exchange to Off-Server Message Store

You can install the new Exchange 2003 server into your vmoregon domain. Run permissions wizard to add this store to have access to Unity (vice versa) Then you should be able to move mailboxes from one server to another and Unity will know where the subscriber is located.

But if your Exchange 2003 is not movable, you will to use the Migration tool to export everyone out, then use their Alias's to match up to the new 2003.

Next, Install Unity 4.03 to the 2003 domain run permissions, etc. DIRT export databases from old, DIRT import to new (same version) server.

Update UTIM configuration for Unity server.

If your licenses are VM only, you can purchase upgrades from VM to UM.

Thanks for the info. My management doesn't seem interested in UM, can I still use a "production" 2003 server with a VM-only system?

Im not quite sure where the fine line in the sand is and how it is enforced between VM and UM deployments. I think technically, if you created their own mailbox and only use the TUI interface in the production Exchange, it would still be VM only.

For instance:

GAL has:

John Doe (Outlook email box)

VM-John Doe (used for Unity voicemail)

I think that if the voicemails go to the product email box, it is UM and you would be fringing on the license agreement. I would consult TAC on this or your local Cisco SE

I see. Good info, I will check with TAC. Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies