Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Express and Office 365

Two things:

Issue 1:

Could someone who has set up CUE to send emails to their Office 365 hosted solution please post their settings?  I'm pretty sure I'm correct but it's not working. Issue 2 deals with one reason but I'd like to double check all of the other settings.

I'm using:

Server:  smtp.office365.com

Security Mode:  STARTTLS

Port:  587 (what I've read Office 365 requires)

U/P:  user@domain.com / <their password>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Issue 2:

I have a client who migrated from an onsite Exchange environment to an Office 365 hosted solution.  They were using MS for voicemail but cannot do that any longer so they purchased CUE 8.6.6 (they are running CME 9.0).  I have used both their internal DNS server and an external one and regardless of what DNS server I use, CUE cannot resolve smtp.office365.com.  It can resolve office365.com, google.com, or anything else I give it.  But I get the following when I try to use smtp.office365.com.  Pings are not allowed through the firewall so the ping failure is expected.  I'm concerned with name resolution:

se-10-1-10-5# ping google.com

PING google.com (74.125.227.2) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- google.com ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms

, ipg/ewma 999.804/0.000 ms

se-10-1-10-5# ping office365.com

PING office365.com (64.4.6.100) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- office365.com ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms

, ipg/ewma 999.818/0.000 ms

se-10-1-10-5# ping smtp.office365.com

ping: unknown host smtp.office365.com

se-10-1-10-5#

I can ping smtp.office365.com from other hosts on the network using the same internal DNS server and I can ping it from anywhere else.  It's just the CUE module that can't resolve the smtp sub-domain. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

kylebrogers,

Okay, so it's more than 3  years later and we are running in to the same situation you have.  Has there been a solution found?  I have been working with office365 support for the past month with absolutely no results.  I would rather bang my head against the wall before calling MS Office365 back.

And unfortuatnly, because the othe mail settings work properly (i.e. google, yahoo and hotmail live) Cisco's hands are tied.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

John J.

Same problem, CUE cannot

See solution above.

16 REPLIES

kylebrogers,

Okay, so it's more than 3  years later and we are running in to the same situation you have.  Has there been a solution found?  I have been working with office365 support for the past month with absolutely no results.  I would rather bang my head against the wall before calling MS Office365 back.

And unfortuatnly, because the othe mail settings work properly (i.e. google, yahoo and hotmail live) Cisco's hands are tied.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

John J.

I meant to hit reply and accidentally marked your response as an answer.  I actually posted this questions earlier this summer.  The 3-year-old date is when I signed up for the support forums.  Anyway, I never could find an answer to this so my duct tape solutions was this:

I signed up for a GMail account and used  that as a sort of proxy.  Now everyone gets their voicemail in their email, but it arrives from the GMail account.  It's not the cleanest solution but it works. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm working very hard to avoid that solution.  I would really like to keep all our voicemail and e-mail messages in house. 

I have read several possible solutions.  The first delt with the e-mail account being used needs the appropraiate "security settings."  I've also read that this might be a DNS issue.  But that does not identify why the google settings work perfectly.

In the meantime, if I locate a soltion, I'll post it.  And if you would do likewise, that would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

John J.

Have CUE 8.6.6 and Office 365 confirmed working.

1. Create a "global admin" service account within Office 365.

2. Within CUE smtp settings page;

a. leave "import smtp settings" blank

b. Within "external smtp server" enter outlook.office365.com

c. "Security mode" is set to starttls and port 587

d. username is the step one email address

e. password is the step one password.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the info. we are defiantely on the right track.  I think the issue is with the "global admin" profile you are suggesting we use.  Can you shoot over a link that discusses how to create, or confirm we are using the correct account type?

Blessings,

John J.

Hi John/Jason,I am trying to

Hi John/Jason,

I am trying to archive the same voicemail integration with office365. it would really be helpfull if you guys can help post your working config from your CME for us the new bee to make reference to.

please I will appreciate any help you could render. Also, have you try the CME integration with Office 365 for voicemail when CUE is not in use?

Please help this is a matter of becoming jobless.

Thank you so much for your support as I patiently await your urgent and favorable response.

I have same settings in CUE 8

I have same settings in CUE 8.6.6 but its not working for me.

I am getting following timeout message while trying to send a test email.

Test Result: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.office365.com, port: 587

Thanks

Shahzad

Same problem, CUE cannot

See solution above.

I hadn't even considered that

I hadn't even considered that.  Thanks for the tip.  If I run into this again I'll give this a shot.  

Never mind! This fix does not

Never mind! This fix does not stick. It appears the cache stops working again shortly. Help Cisco!

It didn't work for me, am

It didn't work for me, am getting timeout with following error.

Test Result: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.outlook.office365.com, port: 587

Thanks

Shahzad

Kyle,

Okay, so I was able to resovle the issue.  First, Jason's instructions are key!  The user account you decide to use to send e-mails must be a "global administrator".  The next step is crucial. 

The error I was reciving from CUE was "SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender".   Although, the message indicates it's a permission issue, when in reality the issue is the "reply address".  The reply address must be supplied for Office365 to complete the process of sending messages.

So, supply the reply e-mail address and you're golden. 

Let me know if you get it figured out.  This has been a long process for us.  I'm glad it's finished.

Blessings,

John J.

Hello, 

Hello, 

I'm having the same permissions issue as you noted above. Can you let me know where you set the reply address? Office365 or in CUE?

Many thanks,

Hey @matt.paulikot@starport

Hey [@matt.paulikot@starport.ca],

What I found needed to be done was create a unique Office365 e-mail address and password solely for the purpose of sending the voice messages.  Doing it this way I used the same "reply-to" address as the authentication account.  

Initially, our plan was to use an administrator account to authenticate CUE to Office365 with a different "reply-to" account, but that's where the error message was reported.  So, creating an independent e-mail address for the sole purpose of e-mailing voice messages to our staff members seemed a solid solution.  

Let me know if that's helpful.

Blessings,

John-J 

This configuration works for

This configuration works for us.  We use Office365 to send voicemail messages to our staff e-mail accounts.

Step One:  We created a voicemail@domain.com e-mail address in Office 365
Step Two:  Configure CUE with e-mail smtp settings.
U/P:  voicemail@domain.com / (account password)
Step Three: External SMTP outlook.office365.com
Security mode: STARTLS
Port: 587

I hope this is helpful for anyone else working on configuring their Office365 and Cisco CUE to work together!

Blessings,
John J.

Never mind Cisco. I resolved

This is a DNS caching issue.

CUE cannot resolve:

Test Result: Unknown SMTP host: smtp.office365.com

Test Result: Unknown SMTP host: outlook.office365.com

If you run the following command in CUE it will fix this issue temporarily:
clear ip dns cache

However the cache immediately stop working for these hostnames again. After examining the cache I found a workaround. Use the host smtp.outlook.office365.com and it will work.

It appears there is some DNS caching glitch with CUE and Microsoft's DNS Records. Hope this helps everyone this has been a problem for months for me.

Workaround summary:

External SMTP Server: smtp.outlook.office365.com

Make sure you have configured CUE to use the correct Office 365 email account:

voicemail configuration outgoing-email from-address your@emailaddress.com

This works great for me now.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content