cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Failover Wizard Questions

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

I have the Secondary Unity server installed, configured and ready to run the Failover Wizard, the server is located in Dallas Tx. I would like to find out if I have to be at the server console to run the Failover Wizard or is it possible for me to run it remotely via iLO or PcAnywhere or VNC or Windows Remote Desktop ?

And will there be any service interruption while running the Failover Wizard ?

and How long does it take to complete the Failover Wizard ?

Thanks

Danny

5 Replies 5

k_vishwesh
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Its is recomemded to to all the installation and config throug console except administration.

If the server is remotely you buy some cosole switch , which will provide you remote cosole access.

Failover time it depends on the existing DB size on primary.when you run FOC on secondary , the SQL create the sanpshot of entire DB an the stream i.e user greeting are copied from pri to sec.

I had done 2 times failover both the time the failover is not succesful.so i had to create manualy the replication part.let me know your success.

regards,

v

Hi Vishwesh ! thanks for your response ! I am trying to find out if iLO, PcAnywhere , or VNC can be use when configuring Unity Failover. I understand it is recommended to do it at the console but in my case I am not onsite and the failover server is in Dallas Tx.

Do you know how long it takes to complete the wizard ? and will there be any service interruptions ?

Thanks !!!

Danny

The wizard goes pretty quick, just a few minutes on our system here. There is an interruption of service, so I would do it after hours.

I have done all of our installs on a KVM switch, so I can't say for sure how it would go with the install, but it should work with VNC.

Hi Mat, I appreciate your response ! Can you tell me how long the system was down for ? I just want to get some ideas to plan for the outage window.

Danny

It wasn't more than 5 minutes...

I remember thinking that I could probably get away with doing it during business hours, and when it shut down the services, I was really glad I didn't

The wizard is pretty easy and it is a pretty quick config.