cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity IMAP Access - Outlook 2016 - Can't Delete Message

brnhornt
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.  Attempts to delete a voicemail from an IMAP connection in Outlook 2016 results in an error message "The operation cannot be performed because the object has been deleted."  Marking as read correctly turns off MWI.  Marking as unread correctly turns on MWI, so the connection/communication works.  Worth noting...performing a Shift-Delete DOES work.

Google results all point to setting "inbox" as the root folder which doesn't change things.

Thanks for any ideas!

8 Replies 8

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two things to try:

1. Delete/readd the IMAP account

2. Run the inbox repair tool against your PST file - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2534513/how-to-find-and-run-the-inbox-repair-tool-in-outlook

Brandon

Thanks Brandon...but this problem is repeatable on multiple machines and starts from the instant you add the IMAP account so I don't think it's an issue with a file getting corrupt.

Second...IMAP uses .OST files, not .PST...so not sure how the Inbox Repair Tool will help in this case....but again, it's not just one random user after some time.  It's everyone...and it just never works.

The repair tool works on PST and OST files. However, if this happens with a new install it is unlikely to be a corrupt file. Do you have the latest updates for Office 2016. I saw posts regarding a similar issue with 2013 that was finally fixed with an update.

Yep...latest updates of everything.

Do you use Office365, or local Exchange?

Local Exchange

citybett1
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue with Outlook 2016.  A workaround that seems to work is to open the voicemail message and press the Delete button instead of trying to delete the message from the inbox view.  

Y C
Level 1
Level 1

Was this ever resolved? The same thing is happening to me with outlook 2016 and unity 11.5. I don't think it's outlook because deleting using imap on an iphone client doesn't work either. Deleting through the web interface directly off unity works just fine though.

As mentioned Shift+Delete or opening the message and hitting the red X for delete works, but then its permanently gone and doesn't move to the "Deleted Items" box. It's as if through IMAP Unity only recognizes the inbox and not the deleted folder

This is also supported by the fact that if you do an imap folder query only the inbox shows and no other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: