Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Implications for AD Changes

We are working on some changes to our AD structure and was wondering if anyone has and idea of how this would impact Unity and the best way to approach the migration from unity.

The basic scenario:

The Exchange 2003 partner server and the unity server are being moved into a different domain. The oranization stays the same and they are under the same forest. Once that is done, all the user accounts will be moved to a different domain also (under the same forest). After they are moved and replicated, the exchnage alias will be modified. After that is done, the directory userid will be changed.

So my basic question is will i have to do a dirt backup and recovery using the alias mapping, or if I do these changes one at a time and force a directory synchronization within Unity can I do this without reinstalling unity?

The administrative group will stay the same.

One other related question. Are there any considerations or implications of having multiple UM Unity servers on the same AD domain? What do I need to look out for? For instance do I need to use the same or different locations object within AD? Can i use the same unitymsgstoresvc and dirsvc accounts, should I have different ones etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY

Re: Unity Implications for AD Changes

I would create a test lab and mirror your production and see what happens.

In theory, Unity should not care. It is essentially at the core, an Exchange and AD server. Unity is just riding on top of it. (example) So if the Exchange receipent policy is updated from another Exchange server, it will update Unity and vice versa. If AD changes take place and replicated, it should work. But I would test this first before trying it out on the production network.

Think of it as migrating Exchange to another domain. What steps need to be done? Can you replace the Exchange Admin account? etc. If you move mailboxes from one Exchange server to another, wait for replication to take place, check VM. As long as Unity/Exchange has aware of the new server and which server has what store has which mailbox, it should be able to route in the Exchange Org fine.

But test, test, test, test.......

hth

tc

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content