Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unity license combine ?

Hi,

we currently have one Unity UM with 50 mailbox licence, we will soon have another site so we order another box of Unity with licence 350 mailbox with license pool option.

My question is " Is it possible to combine old & new license to form 400 pool license. ? How ?

Thank

Natta

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: unity license combine ?

Hi Natta,

The answer is yes, if you meet the listed requirements;

License Pooling

License pooling, which is available in Cisco Unity beginning with version 4.0, allows Cisco Unity servers to pool (or share) subscriber licenses for Voice Messaging, Unified Messaging, and the Cisco Unity Inbox.

For all licensed features other than subscriber licenses, licenses cannot be pooled and are set separately for each Cisco Unity server.

System Requirements

To use license pooling, the servers must meet one of the following criteria:

The servers must be set up for Digital Networking.

For Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 (Active Directory), the servers must be in the same forest.

For IBM Lotus Domino, the servers share the same Domino address book.

How License Pooling Works

If total utilization across all the networked Cisco Unity servers does not exceed total licenses for the feature, the Cisco Unity server is in compliance with licensing restrictions. For example, suppose two Cisco Unity servers each have 500 licenses for subscribers. With license pooling, one of the servers can use 501 or more licenses as long as the total used by both servers does not exceed 1,000.

License pooling requires that the Cisco Unity servers share the same corporate directory, which stores the license pooling information each server publishes as an attachment to the Location object. Because the pooling information is replicated to other server locations, each Cisco Unity server has the license pooling information it needs to monitor license usage in the pool.

How License Pooling Is Enabled

For each Cisco Unity server, you can choose whether it will participate in the license pool. To place a Cisco Unity server in the pool, install a license file containing the license pooling feature. If the license pooling feature is not installed on a Cisco Unity server, the server does not participate in the pool, and compliance for all features is measured on a per-machine basis.

The license file that enables license pooling contains an INCREMENT line with the LicPoolingIsEnabled parameter.

From this good Unity Licensing doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a008019c743.shtml#wp1016324

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Hi Rob,

Thanks for another very helpful posting!

I was wondering if you can provide some advise on my scenario. I have two companies that are merging. Both have Cisco IPT solutions. The CCM and Unity servers belonging to the smaller company will no longer be used; all users will be migrated onto the bigger company's servers. However, the Unity user license is not sufficient to support the total number of subscribers. I was wondering if there was some way to take the 100-user license off the unity server that is no longer required and add it to the existing 250 user license on the server that will remain in place. I have been looking at the "hardware replacement" section in the document you refer to and was wondering if this would be a way to get a replacement license tied to the correct MAC address. I believe both servers are unity 4.0 but I am not sure if the versions are identical.

An alternative would be to keep the second Unity server with it's 100 subscribers.

Any advise you can provide would be most gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Tracey

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your very nice comment :) I don't think that this is an unusual situation at all. Your best bet here would be to fire off an email to;

licensing@cisco.com

With all the pertinant info for the two merging companies/Unity systems. Ask them to provide a new license tied to the remaining Unity server mac for 350 user-licenses.This is going to be the "smoothest" way to do this transition.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advise, most helpful as always. We have also been discussing keeping both Unity servers. If however they would like to run with a single server, I will email Cisco Licensing, as suggested.

Regards,

Tracey

Views
Helpful
Replies
作成コンテンツを作成するには してください