cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity - Low Virtual Memory

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

I have 6 Unity servers experiencing the same problem. Our other servers are not having this issue. Windows 2000 SP4. We are having issues with Unity failing over for no apparent reason and after a few TAC cases it isn't anything related to TSP or mis-configuration. So, I am pursuing this virtual memory issue now.

Unity is reporting low virtual memory. These are brand new 7845's and the page file size is set to 4095. However, it reports that its 20MB even though it is really 4095. Servers have been rebooted, CSA disabled, etc.

No other servers except for Unity have this problem so not sure what it could be. See attached.

5 Replies 5

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Andy, I googled your screen shot and got this:

"you have NTFS partitions, check the Security tab for each partition, and ensure the "SYSTEM" account has Full Control."

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.general/browse_thread/thread/b6a73f279aa5dc67/9be18a363cb842da?lnk=st&q=%22total+paging+file+size+for+all+drives%22+%2220+mb%22&rnum=2&hl=en#9be18a363cb842da

hmm...looked good for a little bit their, however all partitions have the "Everyone" group set to Full Control (default for NTFS drives) and the System account is a member of Everyone group:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315270

Could it have anything to do with CSA?

Fair enough. But did you try adding the System acct?

I did add the System account and local administrator account to each partition with full control and moved the paging file to another partition. Once I did that, it reported that the paging file was 4095, however after the reboot it returned to reporting 20MB (4095 was sill configured as the size AND the actual paging file size itself was 4gig).

So still not sure what is going on.

pagefiles can be goofy sometimes. i would take the page file the min. Say 500 megs or something like that. Then reboot. Then go in and recreate the pagefile to what you want. Typically I think MS recommends 125 percent of the physical memory loaded in the server.

But resetting it might help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: