cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Message Store

steven.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, can we use Unity to store voice message without integrate with MS Exchange or Lotus Domino?

regards,

Steven Lee

13 Replies 13

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The short answer is no.

However, if you are using VM-only, exchange is just one component on the Unity server. Unity/Exchange do not have to integrate with your existing domain or exchange site.

If you are doing Domino, that is only supported in a Unified Messaging environment.

H. M.

Hi, my customer ask me whether we can store the voice message on Cisco Unity itself instead of the current Exchange server. From my understanding, in order to achieve this, we still need to install MS Exchange on Cisco Unity box. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

regards,

Steven Lee

If you want to use Cisco Unity in Voicemail-Only confiuration, Exchange can be installed on the same Unity server, and the Unity/Exchange server will store the voice messages.

If you want to use Cisco Unity in Unified Messaging configuration, Exchange has to be installed on a different server which will store the voice message. Exchange Administration will be installed on the Unity server, and Unity will communicate with partner Exchange server using MAPI.

Steven:

Do you have Unity now? If yes, is it installed with existing Exchange server that is also a "real" email server?

Hi, I don't have the Unity yet, but I'm trying to understand the deployment option that I have. My customer wishes to purchase the VM license instead of UM license. From my understanding, with VM the users can retrieve the voice message by phone or Cisco Unity Inbox(assume the unity is connected to network). My customer is asking can Unity acts as the voice message store without installing the MS Exchange? In Unity 4.0 design guide, it seems the voice messages need to be stored in Exchange 2000. If installing MS Exchange is a must, can I use Unity machine to store voice message with MS Exchange installed on Unity machine?

Sorry for my dumb questions, bcoz i'm not good in Unity.

regards,

Steven Lee

You have to install Exchange to store voice messages and get Unity working. Exchange houses the subscriber mailboxes where the voice messages are actually stored. You can install Exchange on the Unity box itself, but that limits you to use Voicemail-Only config, which I see is what your customer wants.

Don't worry. It's not a dumb question. It doesn't make a lot of sense at first glance that VM only would still require Exchange and we are working to change that in the future so it doesn't.

OK so here is how it works...

Regardless of the configuration of Unity (VM/UM) Unity must integration with an email product. Unity doesn't have isn't own messages store, we always need to use a third party email product for that.

This reason for this is that back at Active Voice, Unity was designed for UM not VM. If a customer wanted VM they went with Active Voice Repartee. After Cisco acquired the Unity product from Active Voice we needed a VM solution. The way Unity could become a VM product in a short period of time was to continue to use a third part email product for message storage and transport.

OK, if you are going to do VM with Unity 4.0(1) or later Exchange 2000 or 2003 is the only supported message store. Exchange 2000 is what we ship with Unity so that is what you will be using.

If you want to deploy VM, Exchange 2000 can be installed on the Unity server. You don't need more than one server. This is a very common configuration.

The only time Exchange would be installed ‘off-box’ is if the customer is deploying failover or if they have an existing Exchange server than they want to have host the VM mailboxes. If they have an existing server the mailboxes for VM must not the same mailboxes the users have for email otherwise that would be steeling UM.

Let me know if this all makes sense.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith, thank you for your detailed explanation. Assume my customer has the running MS Exchange, and my customer doesn't want the voice message to occupy the hard disk space of the running MS Exchange. Can I use a separate machine for installing the Unity and MS Exchange, then store the voice messages on Unity machine. My customer wishes not to occupy the hard disk space on the running MS Exchange.

regards,

Steven Lee

Yes that is fine.

Hi Keith, you mentioned that MS Exchange 2000 will ship with Unity in your second previous reply. Is it true? If yes, may I know the ordering part number?

thanks and regards,

Steven Lee

It'll be a CD labelled Message Store

Hi, are you trying tell me that MS Exchange 2000 will come with the Unity bundle? And it's labelled as "Message Store" on the CD? If Unity come with MS Exchange 2000, does it means that my customer needs to purchase additional MS Exchange license? If my customer has MS Exchange 2003, can I use MS Exchange 2003 instead of MS Exchange 2000?

thanks and regards,

Steven Lee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: