Helpful
Replies

Unity migration from 3.1(5) to 4.0(5)

richardfu
Level 1
Level 1

Unity migration from 3.1(5) to 4.0(5):

Old VM Unity 3.1(5) with back end Exchange 5.5;

New VM Unity 3.1(5) with back end Exchange 2000, then upgrade to Unity 4.0(5).

When DiRT restore to the fresh clean Unity 3.1(5), many messages in the mailboxes were lost, Used DirtyRestore from the command line as the following:

E:\>CommServer\Utilities\DisasterRecoveryRestore\UnityDisasterRecoveryRestore /DirtyRestore

All the lost messages restored successfully, but I did this in the lab. Does anybody have experience for the DirtyRestore in the production line?

Thanks a lot.

Richard

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The /DirtyRestore flag has nothing to do with this. It simply skips the check to see if your local system is a new install or not - that check is done only to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot and accidentally wiping out a proudction system you don't intend to. That's it.

The message restore stuff is all done through ExMerge from Microsoft - DiRT just kicks the process off and provides an INI file that makes the process a little easier, in particular if the mailbox identifiers change between backup and restore points (i.e. domains are changing).

If the messages did not restore, you need to tell us what you mean - you say they restored successfully, but what does that mean? Messages are in their mailboxes but Unity doesn't let you get at them? Were there errors during the restore? If so, what are they?

We need a lot more detail here if we're expected to help...

Thanks, Jeff! Sorry to reply late. Sounds like I got the permission problem. When I tried another time from fresh installing OS, then installed Unity 3.1.5, and assign UnityAdmin account proper rights for the mailboxes to restore the Data: Build in Administrator (unity is DC) and Receive as/Send as rights, DiRT restored the data successfully, included all the mailboxes. Last time, I checked the messages size from Exchange System Manager, from there can figure out how many items messages in the mailboxes.

Thanks again, Jeff!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: