cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity MWI problem

Justin Pascal
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.0.4sr1 no ES, Exchange 2003, Windows 2003 no SP. Unity and Exchange in the same location, different VLAN but same location, only 1 NIC enabled.

When I leave a VM, MWI delay is approximatly 12-15 minutes, always, for all users.

I have check the Port Status, and effectivly the MWI dial after that time.

If I Open SA web, the status does not change, but if I press Refresh Status MWI goes on inmediatly,also for Resynch now. Im using 16 ports, 4 configured for MWI notifications. I have also tried that after hours when no VM ports are in use and same issue.

I went deeper and use Exmon in Exchange and saw that the email account I left VM appears inmediatly in the Exmon log after I left the VM in Unity,no messages in UMR, tried setup.exe -sync,no errors in EV, is this a known issue,?

MWI MAcro traces does not show any error, MWI process goes fine after that time,

Where is the problem Unity or Exchange?

Which other tool/traces may show what is causing the delay, I setup sniffer trace but didnt understand it at all, how can I see MAPI traffic?

How can I troubleshoot that.

Thanks Unity gurus.

1 Reply 1

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should look at the avmsgstoremonitor logs.

When the message first arrives into EXCHANGE-server-INBOX for a subscriber, Exchange sends a TABLE_ROW_ADDED to unity to inform Unity that there is a new message. If there are no UNREAD messages in the subscriber's VM INBOX, Unity then lights the lamp.

When the message is deleted via TUI or Outlook, Exchange sends TABLE_ROW_DELETED message to Unity and if there no other unread messages, Unity turns the light off.

What you want to do is test with a subscriber who does not have any UNREAD voicemails.

Turn on message tracking on Exchange.

Look at the unity and exchange time clock.

Leave the guy a message.

Check Exchange to see if an email message has arrived for that subscriber (the subject line will show you who the message is from)

If Exchange has the message, check the AvMsgStoreMonitor logs for TABLE_ROW_ADDED for that User (CN=alias). If none appears, then exchange is the culprit.

BTW, when you click on Refresh Status MWI or Resynch now, Unity is actively going into each mailbox to find out how many read/unread messages the subscriber has and then pops the light. That is why it always works for you.