cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Options 4 4 changing call transfer destination. Fraud investigation

agster.bt
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone managed to alter their voicemail box call transfer to an external number successfully?

I've got a customer that has been exploited by what appears to be an inbound call to voicemail transferred back out again to a foreign number. (at least this is what CAR shows as happening)

I'm guessing this is done by calling the main Voice Pilot number for a company, guessing an extension then using the default 12345 password that nobody ever changes!!! Then using options 4...4...2(entering required destination)...1 .

However when I have tried to do this myself (in my lab as well) it doesn't actually work.

It plays back "calls will now be transferred to xxxx" but when you call the number it STILL goes to voicemail.

I've managed to get it working using call handlers but doubt a fraudster with hacked access to Unity would reconfigure something like that when it's easier to put a CFWD All on a CallManager DN to a required number.

We have now nailed down security on this customers site but they still want to know how it happened and wondered if anyone could support or dispel my theory??? or indeed shed light on what these options are actually for...

Thanks

A

2 Replies 2

israellopezv
Level 1
Level 1

Check your calling search spaces, make sure that when the phone is forwarding to another number, that it is in a search space that cannot forward to foreign numbers ie.

One for emergency only, one for inter calls, one for local calls, one for long-distance national, and one unrestricted for International.

thomaslemay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, did you ever figure out how to get this feature to work? I have a customer who needs to transfer to cell phones for the day.