Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity over a WAN

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Scenario: Unity Primary and Failover at central location. Can we place a second failover Unity server at a DR site across a WAN? If memory serves I think I remember seeing something about Unity over WAN not being officialy supported bt I also seem to recall someon saying it would work as long as the delay and latency were under a certain limit.

Thanks in advance. All replies rated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all you cannot have 2 failover servers. Second of all splitting Unity across WAN is supported as long as the link is un-godly huge and delay is 2 ms.

Your other alternative is to use Unity Standby server which requires "only" 100Mb of dedicated bandwidth and 40 ms delay, a new concept in Unity 5.0. I would suggest reading up on the requirments in the Unity design doc.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all you cannot have 2 failover servers. Second of all splitting Unity across WAN is supported as long as the link is un-godly huge and delay is 2 ms.

Your other alternative is to use Unity Standby server which requires "only" 100Mb of dedicated bandwidth and 40 ms delay, a new concept in Unity 5.0. I would suggest reading up on the requirments in the Unity design doc.

HTH,

Chris

Good post Chris, highlighting failover vs standby. +5 point here. Here's the documentation of the requirements for Unity 5.0

Failover Requirements for Separating Cisco Unity Servers by a WAN

•There must be two paths of connectivity between the Cisco Unity servers.

•Each path of connectivity must be gigabit speed or higher with no stead-state congestion.

•The maximum round-trip latency must be no more than 10 ms. A fixed network latency of 5ms or less is a best practice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp567423

Requirements for Standby Redundancy are also defined in the same document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp538032

Regards,

Michael.