Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Port status monitor

bluejays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all,

I had a strange unity problem. I call from PSTN to Unity(a call handler "A"), but when I tried to input any digits, it disconnected right away. If I call from inside the system(meaning call from an IP phone in Callmanager), it worked fine. I used the port status monitor and find the following message:

DTMF [1] --->BTW, what does it mean?

DTMF ADDED [2345678*] --->BTW, what does it mean?

EVENT NULL

and the call will be sent to the "B" call handler(which is the action after playing the "A" prompt). I allowed caller input and the digit "1" will call another call handler "C" and "#""*" will allow user to sign-in.

I didn't check the ingress gw configs yet. And I am guessing the problem will be DTMF relay.

Any other possibility?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DTMF (1) meaning someone or something inputed the "1" TUI key or DTMF tone immeditaly. Same with DTMF 234568. Unity is listening for instructions one it picks up a line.

Check your call routing on how it handles certain incoming calls. Behavior of incoming lines can be defined as trunk IDs, DID's, all incoming activity, etc. You must route the Call Handler based upon what is coming in.

IE. if you had and 800 number coming on a PSTN to GW, it would know to ring CCM, CCM would point it to Unity. Unity Port would pick up and look at it's digits from where it came from.. it notices 800xxx.. this then points to Call Handler xxx.

The database in Unity for that CallHandler is screwy, it might be dropping you for some reason. You can create a new CallHandler from the old one. Just create a new one, use the old one as a template, (its like copy paste in Cisco world) and name in something different. Point the incoming calls to it and see what happens. Watch the point monitor to see if more digits are coming in.

If you are watching the Port Monitor and you call in from your cell phone through the PSTN... you see Unity pick up your call... but more "DTMF (1) added... but you did not press anything on your phone TUI... then the router must be adding digets, then erroring out Unity call handler BEFORE you have time to enter 1. It's adding digits for some reason on the transfer possibly.

Thanks for your answer. No matter what digits I pressed on my cell phone unity immediately kicked me out and the port status showed "DTMF (1)" and "DTMF ADD 2345678".

The call is coming off PSTN and in CCM I have setup a voicemail pilot and the call hit the unity call handler.

The local internal IP phone call to unity worked ok tells me that the call handler(configs and database) should be ok. I am more concern about why the unity receive wrong digits and why it would kick me out? Even it receives wrong digits, it should just ignore them, should't kick me out.

You have the same idea as me. I suspect there is either a DTMF-relay issue or translate rule issue on the GW. I don't have the configs of the router yet.

Will doulbe check.....

Here is another question... is the problem happening on all ports, or just one port? Sometimes you can turn the ports off you think are having the issue and see if that fixes it. I can't believe IP ports (virtual ports) going bad.. but possible some issue with that single port.

It shouldnt get you out.. the only thing you could do in the CallHandler to see more information... Ignore all keys for the caller input. See if the call will ignore all input and stay online during the pstn call.

Problem happens on all the ports. Admin told me that they applied ES_35 and ES_95 according to Cisco to fix an issue. After that, this problem arose.

Check the router configs, looks ok. I did 3 tests on the Unity. 1, internal call, ok. 2, 877 number from my cell, work ok. 3, local 847 number from my cell, doesn't work. It looks like a router or local PSTN issue. But since the issue appreared after the patches, I have a feeling that it is because the patches.

Any idea?

BTW, the port status monitor will show "DTMF [1]" first and "DTMF added [234567*8]". The second DTMF string varies every time, if wanted , I can post them. They do look like follow some pattern.

If you don't touch any key, the Unity will timeout and kick you out which is normal.

Thanks for all your help, keep coming....

BTW, if I press the key which is configured to ignore, the unity will still kick you out with the same log.

I'm not sure then. The only thing that could be sending those digits could be the gateway. Just to clarify, you have your PRI/PSTN plugged into your gateway router, which would answer the call, CCM would pick it up and route it to Unity for the CallHandler.

Correct?

But if you dial from a phone to Unity, it does not happen.. everything works fine. correct? So my guess would be to start looking at the traces from the Gateway and CallManager to see where the call is going haywire. Sounds like Unity is not the problem.

I really appreciate your help. The problem is fixed now. The problem is the DTMF relay on a MGCP gateway. It was set to mode cisco, and we changed to mode out-of-band, and it worked fine. What I don't understand is, this config worked fine until we did the ES update for Unity to fix another issue.

Very strange......It only affected 1 DID number through, other DID worked fine with mode cisco.........

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

very odd indeed! I will have to try that on my next deployment to see if I can recreate the problem. I have some test equipment coming in a couple weeks. I wonder if there is a new setting for Unity on the Port to "listen" in a different manner with that patch.

Anyways, glad it's fixed. One less cisco troll you have to worry about the next morning.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: