Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity, problem with message recording through TUI

Gentlemen,

Unity 5.0(1), Exchange 2003 w/o failover, the problem is that the messages aren't recorded.

1. The flow (unsuccessfull) is the following:

a. DN 111 is calling towards to DN 121

b. CFNA occurs to voicemail system

c. Calling party is hearing 121 subscriber voicename greeting

d. System offers to record the message after the tone

e. Calling party says some words during a few seconds

f. Then system interrupts his recording and offers

f.1 to send this message press '1': if I press, system says "If you would like to try an extension you may do so now. Goodbye." Disconnect.

f.2 to play this message pres '3': if I press, system react in a manner it repeats postrecording variants again (cycle).

f.3 to rerecord press '4': the action is useless cause result is the same as in initial recording flow.

g. If DN 121 then checks its mailbox, system tells him he has no new messages

2. Another flow (successfull) I've also performed:

a. DN 111 sends voice message through VMO plugin to DN 121

a.1 DN 111 records its message through MediaMaster and presses 'Send' button

c. DN 121 MWI is activated, which tells the subscriber 121 he has new voicemail message

d. Subscriber 121 calls to voicemail system and authorizes

e. System tells him he has 1 new message

f. Subscriber 121 can then listen it w/o any problems.

What can be the problem, colleagues ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you are having TSP problem. I would reset the ports on the CUCM server and try again. Unity is detecting dead air or no audio at all coming through, so it interrupts them with the press 1, etc.

Is this a new system or did this recently started happening?

Also, check your network between CUCM and Unity. If you are getting one way audio because of codecs, or vlans, or routing, this could be an issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you are having TSP problem. I would reset the ports on the CUCM server and try again. Unity is detecting dead air or no audio at all coming through, so it interrupts them with the press 1, etc.

Is this a new system or did this recently started happening?

Also, check your network between CUCM and Unity. If you are getting one way audio because of codecs, or vlans, or routing, this could be an issue.

Tommer,

This is an absolutely new system. Message recording doesn't work at all.

I mean nothing was broken, the problem takes place from the beginning.

I've got the dump on the Unity server after your considerations about possible network issues.

The facts, that I've found from the dump, are the following:

1. I see RTP (711 PCMU) stream from Unity address to IP Phone address (calling pty).

This is true cause I hear Unity greetings.

2. I do not see any rtp from IP Phone to Unity. The question is _should_it_be ??

In terms of CUCM configuration, I have a single region with 711

codec within itself, assigned to the device pool callin IP Phone has.

So here is a quick run down on how the call works.

IP Phone connects to CUCM

CUCM routes the call via TSP to the Unity server

Unity server answers.

The connection is then nailed up between Unity---CUCM---IP Phone.

If you are getting one way traffic, there has to be something wrong with the TSP ports or the codec. If all routing and switching is solid and traffic is flowing, then the problem could be either of the two.

Unity is default G.711. So if you are G711 all over that should be clear.

Have you reset anything yet? I would go ahead do the following:

- CUCM - reset all voicemail ports

- Test again

- Still not working... reboot Unity.

Any firewall software on the Unity box?

Any odd events in the Windows Event Viewer in Unity?

Tommer,

The Cisco Unity-CM TSP version is 8.2(1) which is compatible with CUCM 6.0(1).

I've already restarted CUCM/Unity's servers, no result.

You've mentioned that "The connection is then nailed up between Unity---CUCM---IP Phone". Are you sure ?

I always think, RTP flows directly between endpoints because CUCM cannot proxy RTP.

Thus the scheme for voice/rtp exchange will be "Unity---IP Phone", where the singaling path is what you've mentioned.

There is a firewall between Unity and calling pty IP Phone that can be the cause.

I will check it in details and write here the comments later.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Im pretty sure that for voicemail calls, it goes through CUCM. I could be completely off, it's late. Im in a middle of a couple upgrades tonight. I didnt think an IP phone would go directly from/to Unity once the call was connected. I know when IP phone A calls IP Phone B, CUCM sets up the call, then drops out once the call is connected. Then its just phone to phone for the RTP stream. But with Unity, it's different because of the voicemail ports. (Again, I could be completely off!)

I assume your firewall is the issue. There must be some traversing between CUCM, Unity, and the IP phones. The voice packets are getting lost somewhere in there.

I would try to avoid the firewall if possible. If you can, put a phone on the same segment of CUCM and Unity and see if works then. At least you know you can narrow it down. I usually try to figure what I can get to work and then work backwards until I figure out where the problem is.

Hello, my friend,

You were right, that was the network issue.

Firewall blocked rtp from the phone to unity. As unity couldn't detect

any voice traffic in its direction, it suggested the menu I've posted

in my first topic in this thread.

Later I've checked an ip phone w/o using nat and firewall, and all was fine.

You are the best. Thank you very much.

NO Problem! That is what this forum is for! Sorry for the misdirection of the CUCM-Unity-IPphone direction. I was thinking of something else. (maybe PBXTDM world... who knows at 2am!)

Glad you got it fixed!

FYI anytime you dealing with a firewall near Unity it is helpful to reference the Security Guide. This guide details ip traffic that will need to flow to/from Unity. For example, this section covers traffic that "must also be allowed to VoIP phones and gateways that Cisco Unity will communicate directly with."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/security/guide/ex/5xcusec030e.html#wp1063071

-Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: