Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Relay to Distribution List

mmilligan11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a voicemail setup with the message action set to "Relay the Message". The other half of the environment is exchange online/office365.

Currently if a single user O365 mailbox is set as the "Relay Address" the email will be delivered successfully to the inbox. If the relay address is switched to a O365 cloud distribution list however the email will not arrive in the recipient mailboxes.

The current Unity SMTP configuration is just a internal domain (unityserver.company.internal), it's not linked to O365. The Unified messaging service IS linked to O365 and unified messaging works fine, it just doesn't work with a distribution list which is why we're trying the relay address alternative. I also don't have unified messaging configured for the mailbox that is set up with a relay address.

Microsoft has no idea what is going on because the way cisco interacts directly with the mailbox means the mail transfer doesn't appear in a O365 message trace even when successfully delivered to a mailbox. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unified Messaging (aka Single Inbox) uses EWS API calls to Exchange/O365 while Message Relay uses SMTP. These features are completely independent of one another. You'll need to look at the STMP Smarthost and investigate how the email infrastructure is configured: CUC is going to send the email to that smarthost using unauthenticated SMTP relay. What happens to it from there is out of CUC's control.

PS- I typically set the domain to "voicemail.<customer public domain>.tld".

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unified Messaging (aka Single Inbox) uses EWS API calls to Exchange/O365 while Message Relay uses SMTP. These features are completely independent of one another. You'll need to look at the STMP Smarthost and investigate how the email infrastructure is configured: CUC is going to send the email to that smarthost using unauthenticated SMTP relay. What happens to it from there is out of CUC's control.

PS- I typically set the domain to "voicemail.<customer public domain>.tld".

Did anyone figure a way to get this to work?

It would be a great assistance to get this function working.

Has Cisco approached MS about collaborating on a solution doc?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: