Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity scheduled backups fail to mapped drive

On Unity 4.2.1, I'm doing a Dirt backup from Unity, a member server, to an Exchange server, a domain controller. Both servers are Windows 2003. I have a mapped drive from Unity to the backup folder on Exchange. I created a backup account in AD. I can backup to the mapped drive on the Exchange server when I'm logged in to Unity with the backup account (I can also backup locally). But, when I schedule the backup to run after hours, it always fails with "could not write to destination path" in the Event Viewer. If the scheduled backup runs while I'm logged in, it will work with no problem. But, when I schedule it and log out, it will fail. I'm using the two hop method for SQL. If I schedule to backup locally and I'm logged out, it will work. Any ideas what am I missing here? CSA is not installed. The Windows firewall service is not running. Are there other permissions or something? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution
11 Replies 11

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Help file for DiRT specifically says not to use a mapped drive (probably for the reason you're experiencing) under "Backup Procedure Overview" section at:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/DiRT/index.html

"First, decide where you want the backup files to go. In general if you are backing up to a remote server on the network you will want to use the full UNC path to the share on that server, not a mapped drive letter."

I would change the destination path to the full UNC path ie: \\servername\backup\unity and give it another shot.

Hope this helps,

Brad

you can use mapped drives if you map it in windows and then type the path that windows uses. for instance E:\DiRT

Randy

I think I might now the problem you are having.

In order for a scheduled backup to work you have to successfully do a manual back by pressing the Backup Now button.

That has to be successful befor the schedule will work.

Randy

Thanks for the response. I just tried the using the UNC path and now I get 7 errors in the Event Viewer (just says DiRT encountered and error- no explanation), then an informational that says the backup started. The Backup log shows that it started but there's nothing in it after that.

I did start the backup manually as well. I have other customers that backup to mapped drives but they don't have this problem. Any other suggestions?

you can backup to a unc path, it should not be set up when you are using rdc'd into the Unity though.

if you can not backup manually you will not be able to schedulled.

Ready the help file and watch the videos. There are specil intructions. The account you are logged on as when you run it matteres too.

There are folders that need to be shared and with the right permissions.

Hope this helps

Randy

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just checking - do you have the scheduled task set to run under the same account/PW that you are logged in as when you test it manually? There's no much magic here - it's just using the Windows task scheduler to launch the application under the privaleges of the user you assign it - if it works when you're logged in there's no reason it shouldn't work when you running it scheduled. The most common thing I see here is a bad PW or a different account being used when you configure the scheduled task.

Thanks Jeff, yes, I have the same account/PW that I'm logged in as. There's no problem to back up to the network drive when I'm logged in. I used the full INC path in DiRT and the scheduled backup now starts (after 7 generic errors), it dumps an informational log in Event viewer that it started. but I never see one where it finishes. So, the credentials are, apparently, working. Strange, I have other customers with the same setup and the scheduled backup works across a network drive. Anything else I could be missing? Thanks.

did you follow the help file, we can not see how it is configured, my guess is a permissions issue. I said before there are some things that need to be done.

file sharing on the steam files directory I think

sql permissions on the account

pls read the help file and watch the videos

Randy

OK, I got it. The backup account was not a member of the Domain Admins group and could not put files on the network drive, which is on a domain controller.

I read the help file as the backup account should not be a member of Domain Admins but it was really just explaining the allows and deines of being members of several groups. My bad. Thanks for all the responses.

btw, I use the full UNC path and the two hop method. I'm not backing up any messages.

Tony

Glad to hear it is working now.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: