Replies

Unity storing messages as G.711 - but shouldn't

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

1. Unity 4.0(5)

2. Installed with g.729 selected as the prompt codec

3. ALL regions across all sites configured to talk to Unity using G.729

4. When you are leaving a message and hit "??" on the phone it says G.729 is the codec.

The message sizes though are consistent with G.711. I don't see what I am missing here.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just selecting the 729a prompt set does not force Unity to _reocrd_ in 729 - it'll transcode into 711 by default. Use the SetRecordingFormat tool found in Tools Depot to select 729a as the recording format.

Hi Jeff,

Can I easily switch back?

My expected behaviour would be that those messages left before the switch would be G711, after would be G7xx then back again to G711 - without any impact to the system.

Also, do the attributes automatically change with the format?

Thanks !

Erik

Not sure what you mean by "attributes" here but changing the recording format affects new reecordings from that point forward - changing the recording format has no effect on existing recordings that may have already been done in 711 - this applies to greetings, voice names and messagees. There is a tool to force the WAV files for voice names and greetings to be 711 or 729a across the boards, but there is no equivalent tool for changing the format of a standing voice message that's in the store already.

When the Codec is selected, there is another drop-down field beneath it which lists the sampling rate and frequency (Hz). I believe this is caled 'attributes' and it threw me because it appeared to be a field that I could toggle separate from codec; however, it looks like just another way to select the codec since both fields are tied together.

Jeff, I tried to change this to G.726 and did a 'save-as' calling it G726. Then restarted Unity and we're still recording messages in G711. Anything else I should need to do?

Cheers,

Erik

Works like a champ!

We simply didn't have the G726 codec installed; however, a switch to G729 worked.

Erik

Jeff

is there a way of remotely checking which codec unity is recording - the setrecordingformat tool cannot be run remotely(using TS). Is there a registery setting that I can check whether messages are being recorded in G711 or G729a?

TIA

J

TS in, then VNC the localhost

Martin