Replies

Unity storing messages as G.711 - but shouldn't

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

1. Unity 4.0(5)

2. Installed with g.729 selected as the prompt codec

3. ALL regions across all sites configured to talk to Unity using G.729

4. When you are leaving a message and hit "??" on the phone it says G.729 is the codec.

The message sizes though are consistent with G.711. I don't see what I am missing here.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just selecting the 729a prompt set does not force Unity to _reocrd_ in 729 - it'll transcode into 711 by default. Use the SetRecordingFormat tool found in Tools Depot to select 729a as the recording format.

Hi Jeff,

Can I easily switch back?

My expected behaviour would be that those messages left before the switch would be G711, after would be G7xx then back again to G711 - without any impact to the system.

Also, do the attributes automatically change with the format?

Thanks !

Erik

Not sure what you mean by "attributes" here but changing the recording format affects new reecordings from that point forward - changing the recording format has no effect on existing recordings that may have already been done in 711 - this applies to greetings, voice names and messagees. There is a tool to force the WAV files for voice names and greetings to be 711 or 729a across the boards, but there is no equivalent tool for changing the format of a standing voice message that's in the store already.

When the Codec is selected, there is another drop-down field beneath it which lists the sampling rate and frequency (Hz). I believe this is caled 'attributes' and it threw me because it appeared to be a field that I could toggle separate from codec; however, it looks like just another way to select the codec since both fields are tied together.

Jeff, I tried to change this to G.726 and did a 'save-as' calling it G726. Then restarted Unity and we're still recording messages in G711. Anything else I should need to do?

Cheers,

Erik

Works like a champ!

We simply didn't have the G726 codec installed; however, a switch to G729 worked.

Erik

Jeff

is there a way of remotely checking which codec unity is recording - the setrecordingformat tool cannot be run remotely(using TS). Is there a registery setting that I can check whether messages are being recorded in G711 or G729a?

TIA

J

TS in, then VNC the localhost

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: