cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Uninstall and Reinstall

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

I have a Unity Lab server and decided to remove Unity, Exchange and SQL and reload it. Not such a good idea! I got everything reinstalled, but Unity won't start. There's a list of errors.

Event ID: 30003

Source: CiscoUnity_MALEx

Description: An attempt to access the Primary Exchange Mailbox Store by AvCsMgr via MAPI has failed. The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The information Store could not be opened.

That's just 1 error along with:

Event ID: 30012

Source: CiscoUnity_MALEx

I think I have all my permissions right. Any ideas or should I just format and start over because Uninstall didn't seem like a great idea!

12 Replies 12

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

This is Unity 4.0(4)SR1

Also now getting:

Event ID: 522

Source: CiscoUnity_Miu

Description: Cisco Unity's telephony component has encounted a serious error.

There is a tool you have to use to uninstall Unity completely from a server.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_UninstallUnity30.htm

download this one and it should remove it all.

I used that to uninstall the Unity. Then I had to manually remove Exchange and SQL. I then reinstalled everything now I can't get Unity to start.

When trying to start the AvCsMgr service manually I get the following error:

Could not start the AvCsMgr service on the Local Computer.

The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.

If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

Hmm...time to just format?

Did you check your Exchange and SQL services that they have started?

Also, check to see if the SQL database was even created for Unity.

Start

Programs

SQL

Enterprise Manager

You should "Databases" and a "UnityDB" listed. If no Unity db installed, then you are back to square one again. I remember 4.0(4) and installing and uninstalling it a bizillion times to get it install correctly. Typically, it would skip the DB creation portion and keep moving.

I followed your instructions and the UnityDB is there. This seems to be an Exchange or Permissions issues, but I don't know what or where. I compared all my user accounts and permissions to my production Unity and everything is the same.

Next?

Thanks

I've been following the instructions from the "Cisco Unity 3.1(x) and 4.x: AvCsMgr Service Fails to Start" document and I found there were not mailbox properties for my UNITY_Unity1Lab account that was created. I deleted the DirectoryId from the SQL table and then deleted the UNITY_Unity1Lab account from AD. I then ran setup from the Commserver\Configuration Setup directory, but the account was not recreated (I'm guessing that was supposed to recreate it).

Any advice (other than BDSO (Burn Down Start Over)? Thanks!

Ive came accross similar issues..

My recommendations...

Install the Permission wizzard for unity 4.2, this tool is alot more detailed and can also just report on the permissions thats already applied. Only note on this is that you must extend the AD schema for unity 4.2. I will recommend running the wizzard in report mode as a first start to isolating a permission issue.

I downloaded the tool and installed it, but it won't run. I'm running Unity 4.0(4)SR1. When I run the tool I get the error message "You need to extend the Active Directory schema for Cisco Unity before you can run Permissions Wizard". I know the schema is extended and I even re-ran the ADSchemaSetup.exe again to be sure.

Anything else? Thanks!

Log on as unitymsgstore user

regedit | current user | ms | winnt | wind messaging componant | delete the "unity blabla bprofile"

And reboot

For the MUi:

- Upgrade the TSP and reboot

Martin

Do you have AD DNS running on the machine? If DNS is not running, AD will fail.. even if it's a one box setup.

Did you resolve this yet? Did you run the Schema update for Unity 4.2? The schema update for 4.2 is alot different from other 4.x schema updates.