Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Upgrade 4 to 7 with Domino

guy.richard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm upgrading a customer from Unity4.2.1/Domino to 7x with changing HW.

I've been provided with 7x software, OS2003, 4x licence with new mac, 7x upgrade licence with new mac.

I have understand I have to reinstall 4x on the new HW before upgrading to 7x because of the upgrade only licence. Is it right ?

I've installed OS2003 on the new platform (because Unity4.2.1 is compatible with 2003), then used CUSPA to prepare the new server and when I try to use CUICA to install Unity4x, it does not show me Domino Integration choice but only (EXchange 2000/2003). Is it because of OS2003 ?

So I started 7x CUICA now I have Domino choice. Then I go on install Unity4.2.1. After the soft is loaded, CUICA goes on uploading licenses (ok) and then configuring services and message store and so on and then, Ido no more have Domino choice.

What can I do ?

Do I have to install OS2000+CUSPA+Unity4.2.1 then Upgrading to 2003 and install 7x ?

Can I obtain a full customer features license for Unity 7x ?

Thanks in advance

Guy

5 Replies 5

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Guy,

If you have a peek at the System Requirements guide you'll see that Windows 2003 is not supported when Domino is the mail store:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/requirements/42cusysreq.html#wp471862

This is why you're not getting the option for Domino.  Also, if you weren't aware, 7.x is the last version where Domino is supported.  Unity 8.x no longer offers the ability to partner with Lotus Domino.  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you weren't aware, it may change your long term plans with your new server and going with Domino.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Ok thanks a lot

So my 2nd question was

Do I have to install OS2000+CUSPA+Unity4.2.1 on nthe new HW and then Upgrading to 2003 and install 7x ?

or Can I obtain a full customer features (including license for Unity 7x ?

About your conclusion: if there is no longer support of Domino with Unity at my customer, it is not Domino that will leave. But there is a solution maybe with UnityConnection and IMAP accounts.

Guy

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking still.  If you're partnering with a Domino server, the answer is no, you cannot upgrade the server to Windows 2003, any Domino implementation is only supported on Windows 2000.  Speaking from a Unity upgrade perspective (irregardless of whether you're partnered with Domino) yes you will need an upgrade license in order to get to 7.x.

Yes, UC 7.x and 8.x does IMAP but it's not truly the "unified" feel since it's typically a second account/inbox that's added to mail clients (as far as Outlook is concerned).  There may be some magic that can be done in Lotus Notes that gets around that, but I can't say for sure.  There is a View Mail for Notes plugin that Cisco has written:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/vmn/release/notes/801cucvmnrn.html

Hope that helps,

Brad

Unity7 partnered with Domino is supported (and needs) 2003OS right ?

My question is having a new HW, a Unity7 soft, a 2003OS,and a upgrade to Unity7 license, I have to install on my new HW:

1) OS2000

2) Unity4.2.1 with license Unity4 with new mac

3) Integrate with Domino

and then

4) Upgrade OS to 2003

5) Install Unity7 over Unity4 with upgrade license

Is it right ?

No, I think you're confused.  Windows 2003 is not a supported platform for Unity when you're partnered with Domino.  Unity 7 is supported with Domino yes, but ONLY on when Unity is running on Windows 2000. You cannot go to Windows 2003.  If you're keeping the same hardware, you would be doing an in place upgrade on your server straight from 4.x to 7.x (assuming it meets the system requirements).  You will also need your upgrade license as you're aware.

Again, Unity partnered with Domino is not supported with Windows 2003 as stated in the documentation I provided a few posts ago.

Brad