cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Upgrade 4.x to 5.x path?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there any kind of path for upgrade for this? Or can do I need to do an inplace upgrade? I know in the past, if I had to upgrade 4.x to 4.2.1, I had to upgrade the existing server to 4.2, then DIRT the the database out, and DIRT restore to the new server. How does this work with 5?

Just to throw a wrench in this.... What if was going from Domino to Exchange?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You've kind of asked 3 unrelated questions here.

1. Yes, you can upgrade directly from any 4.x version to 5.0(1) without having to use tools like DiRT.

2. No, you cannot migrate to a new server AND upgrade all in one step. You will never be able to do this from any version to any other version now or in the future. This will simply never be done. Just to be clear. If you wish to upgrade AND move to a new server/setup then you will have to use DiRT to move from one server to the same version installed on another server/setup. As per the DiRT help file and training materials.

3. There is no migration path between Domino and Exchange. A reinstall is necessary going in either direction there regardless of which versions you're moving from/to.

Thanks Jeff, i was hoping you would respond. Basically, customer has existing (3) unity digital networked Unity with Domino. Exchange 07 is going in, new Unity server with 5.x to Exchange.

Most likely, we will simply add new accounts to the Unity 5.x server and delete them off the old Unity once their mailbox has been migrated from Domino to Exchange.

I was thinking maybe i could do an inplace upgrade from 4.x to 5.x. Then use DIRT to export the data. Install the new server 5.x and DIRT import the data. But since they are moving to/from Exchange/domino, I might as well set it up new.

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: