cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Upgrade form 4.0 to 4.2

zulfi
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use Dirt Backup which was backed up on ver 4.0 and restore on 4.2.1 directly on diferent server ?

I like to void reinstalling Unity on same ver 4.0 and Dirt Restore and then Upgrade to 4.2.1

TIA

4 Replies 4

zulfi
Level 1
Level 1

This is VM only install.

The short answer is 'No'. DIRT will only restore to the same version from which it was backed up.

Make sure you use the latest copy of DIRT backup and restore.

Matthew Bryant
Level 1
Level 1

Your best bet is to upgrade your existing server to 4.2.1.

Depending on how old the hardware is, take the opportunity to set up a new server from scratch with 4.2.1 and then restore from the DiRT that you make after you other upgrade the original server.

Thats what I ended up doing last time since my servers were a little old. If you do that, just remember to get a new license file from TAC. They can modify it to work with the new mac address no problem.

If you have a failover environment, use the dirt from the seconday so you dont have to go in and edit the database.

Hope that helps.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your two options are:

Install Unity 4.0 on your new server and use DIRT to transfer the database and settings, then upgrade your new server to 4.2.1

OR

Create a DIRT Backup of your existing Unity server, pull a drive and run the Unity upgrade from 4.0 to 4.2.1 (insert cd and go) It will take some time upgrade if you have mucho users. The SQL database also gets converted to a new format (time)

after the upgrade, use DIRT to move your 4.2.1 to a new server, or continue to use the old.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: